COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working

• Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
In summary, COM Surrogate is a system process in Windows that allows 32-bit applications to run on 64-bit systems. It may stop working due to compatibility issues or system errors. This can cause applications to crash or become unresponsive, as well as general system instability. To fix this error, you can try solutions such as running a System File Checker scan, updating graphics drivers, and disabling thumbnail previews. It is not a virus, but some viruses may disguise themselves as COM Surrogate processes. To prevent this error, you can keep your system and applications updated, run regular virus scans, and avoid downloading programs from untrustworthy sources.
RiseAgainst
I am stuck with Vista on my computer right now, and when I am browsing a folder that has video files in it, messages constantly pop up that say "COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working". Usually this is a problem with Nero, but I uninstalled it because it doesn't work with Vista, what else causes this problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You got the solution HERE!

Дьявол said:
You got the solution HERE!

I tried this but I still get the same error pop up.

1. What is COM Surrogate and why has it stopped working?

COM Surrogate is a system process in Windows that allows 32-bit applications to run on 64-bit systems. It may stop working due to a compatibility issue with a particular application or an error in the system.

2. How does COM Surrogate affect my computer?

If COM Surrogate stops working, it may cause the application using it to crash or become unresponsive. It may also cause general system instability and hinder the performance of your computer.

3. How can I fix the "COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working" error?

There are a few potential solutions to this error, including running a System File Checker scan, updating your graphics drivers, and disabling thumbnail previews. You can also try running the affected application in compatibility mode or performing a clean boot to identify and fix the underlying issue.

4. Is the "COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working" error a virus?

No, this error is not a virus. It is a system error that can occur due to various reasons, such as a compatibility issue or corrupt system files. However, some viruses may disguise themselves as COM Surrogate processes, so it is important to run a virus scan to ensure your system is not infected.

5. Can I prevent the "COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working" error from occurring?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent this error from occurring, you can take certain precautions such as keeping your system and applications up to date, running regular virus scans, and avoiding downloading and installing programs from untrustworthy sources.