64 bit windows fortran compiler

In summary: If you are using a compiler from a commercial vendor, they will usually have libraries and tools that make this process much easier.In summary,John was looking for a compiler to use on his new PC with the Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor and Windows Vista Home Premium OS. He found that there are no free or inexpensive 64 bit Fortran compilers for Windows Vista Home. However, he found a compiler called Simply Fortran that is proving to be reliable.
mcgrete
Hi,
I have used Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5 for years. Recently bought a new PC with Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor and Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium OS (yes, likely a mistake on the OS).

I wish to use Code I wrote in the past and take advantage of 64bit processor, memory, etc.

I have been unable to find a free (or inexpensive) 64 bit fortran compiler for Windows. Perhaps I have misunderstood what info I have found on the web. I considered shelling out the $2k for Intel's latest version, which is supposed to be compatible with Compaq Visual Fortran, but it appears to require Windows' SDK, which I read to not be supported by Windows Vista Home (go figure).

Before I break down and buy another hard drive and install Linux (which I wish to avoid the effort and the maintenance on another OS), does anyone have knowledge to help?

If not with the Windows, with the selection of Linux OS versions (there are so many) and a compatible Fortran compiler for Linux and Compaq Visual Fortran code (I have all the source code still, obviously).

I appreciate it.

Technology news on Phys.org
The GNU compiler collection includes a Fortran 77 compiler (g77), and GNU appears to be developing a compiler for the more recent standard (gfortran). If you cannot find a direct port of one of these compilers to windows, then I expect you could use Cygwin to provide an environment in which they can run.

Hurkyl said:
The GNU compiler collection includes a Fortran 77 compiler (g77), and GNU appears to be developing a compiler for the more recent standard (gfortran). If you cannot find a direct port of one of these compilers to windows, then I expect you could use Cygwin to provide an environment in which they can run.

Hurkyl,
Thanks. I have tried this, and it appears that all versions are actually true 32bit, but will run on 32 or 64 bit OS. Is that correct, or am I missing something? For instance, I downloaded "mingw-w64-bin_x86_64-mingw_20090110.zip" and extracted. Many of the files appear to indicate that they are actually 32bit, e.g. x86_64-pc-mingw32-gfortran.exe.

Again, I am looking to take advantage of my 64bit processor and OS. Am I ignorant about this?

How would I try and verify/check that the compiler is actually true 64 bit vs. 32 bit that will run on a 64 bit system?

Thanks!

mcgrete said:
Hurkyl,
Thanks. I have tried this, and it appears that all versions are actually true 32bit, but will run on 32 or 64 bit OS. Is that correct, or am I missing something? For instance, I downloaded "mingw-w64-bin_x86_64-mingw_20090110.zip" and extracted. Many of the files appear to indicate that they are actually 32bit, e.g. x86_64-pc-mingw32-gfortran.exe.

Again, I am looking to take advantage of my 64bit processor and OS. Am I ignorant about this?

How would I try and verify/check that the compiler is actually true 64 bit vs. 32 bit that will run on a 64 bit system?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter if the compiler is only a 32 but application. Compilation is not a hugely demanding task, and much of it is "8-bit" character manipulation anyway.

What matters is that the compiler can generate 64-bit output code. Professional-quality compiler systems (like GNU) can usually generate code for a whole range of different target machines - even for completely different CPU chips from the CPU that the compiler is running on. (That is called "cross-compilation").

The documentation will tell you what options to use on the command line to generate code for different machine architectures.

1. What is a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler?

A 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler is a software tool that allows for the compilation and execution of Fortran programs on a 64-bit Windows operating system. It is specifically designed to take advantage of the 64-bit architecture, allowing for improved performance and access to larger amounts of memory.

2. Why would I need a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler?

If you are working with large datasets or complex calculations, a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler can greatly increase the efficiency and speed of your programs. It allows for the use of larger amounts of memory, which is essential for handling large data sets and performing complex calculations.

3. Is a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler compatible with all versions of Windows?

No, a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler is only compatible with 64-bit versions of the Windows operating system. It will not work on 32-bit systems.

4. How do I know if I have a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler?

You can check if you have a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler by looking at the system requirements for the specific compiler you are using. You can also check your system information to see if you have a 64-bit operating system.

5. Are there any differences between a 64 bit Windows Fortran compiler and a 32 bit one?

Yes, there are several differences between a 64 bit and 32 bit Windows Fortran compiler. The most significant difference is the amount of memory that can be accessed by the compiler. 64-bit compilers can use larger amounts of memory, which is essential for handling large datasets and performing complex calculations. Additionally, 64-bit compilers may have improved performance and optimizations for 64-bit systems.