Is my Free Body Diagram and Approach Correct for Finding Vertical Force on Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a free body diagram and calculating the vertical force exerted on the bottom of a tank. The person is checking their approach and questioning whether they need to consider the depth of the water. It is determined that only the weight of the cylinder and the buoyant force need to be considered, as Archimedes' principle only looks at the weight of the displaced fluid.
Jason03
Im working on the problem below and trying to figure out if I have the right approach. I am checing to see if my free body diagram is correct. Also if finding the vertical force exerted on the bottom of the tank is just the differenence of the bouyant force and wieght of the cylinder as showin in my work. thanks

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/hw11.jpg

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv106/jason03_2009/hw12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
would I need to take into consideration the depth of the water?...or just the weight of the cylinder and the bouyant force?

Hi Jason,
Your calculations look fine. In calculating the buoyant force, the depth of the water isn't a consideration. Archimedes principal looks only at the weight of the fluid displaced by the solid object, not the pressure of the fluid.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object and their directions.

Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the motion of an object by showing the forces that are causing it. They also allow us to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine whether they are balanced or unbalanced.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify the object and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot or box to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of each force. It is important to label each force and use a scale for the arrow lengths.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the gravitational pull, while mass stays constant. Weight is measured in Newtons (N) and mass is measured in kilograms (kg).

How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can change an object's motion in different ways. They can cause the object to speed up, slow down, change direction, or remain at rest. The net force on an object determines the acceleration of the object according to Newton's second law, F=ma.