How can we maximize energy storage for a pullback mechanism vehicle?

In summary: This rotational energy can then be used to power an electric motor.In summary, the team is working on a project that contains a mechanism similar to those found in toys. They are competing against other teams and have a fun match at the end. The goal is to store as much energy as possible to get a great distance. They are looking into various energy storage options, but the limiting factor is the structural stability of the system.
Gary1990
Hey all,

Our team is currently working on a project which contains the pullback mechanism like the ones you find in toys. We are competing against other teams and have a fun match at the end.
The idea is to pull or push the vehicle back 1 meter and store as much as possible energy.
We only have 30 seconds after the push/pullback to adjust the vehicle but it is not allowed to store extra energy other than the energy you stored from the 1 meter push/pullback. After releasing the energy (when the vehicle starts riding) its also not possible for the rider to add extra energy (e.g. moving back and forth to steal extra lenght)
The goal is to store as much energy as possible to get a great deal of traveling distance.
We have several ideas about the construction and the energy storage (we are planning to use springs of a special composite)
We have calculated that if we are to push the vehicle back with a force of 800N, we can only reach the maximum speed of 4 meters per second with the energy we put in to.
A few members are currently working on the wheels because we need to watch out for slipping while pushing/pulling back or while riding.
We have a low budget of 150 euro's.. we are trying to find some sponsors to realize our project.
I was interested in what ideas others may bring in. So if you have any ideas about this vehicle or sponsors, feel free to reply.

Greetings,

Gary

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you going for speed or distance?

We are going for distance. Speed is irrelevant. We just calculated that our maximum speed would be around 4 m/s.

What kind of energy storage are you thinking of?

For the best distance you want the energy to be released incrementally and at a steady pace. As soon as I saw this I thought of Da Vinchis self propelled cart.

Gary1990 said:
We are going for distance. Speed is irrelevant. We just calculated that our maximum speed would be around 4 m/s.

How big is the vehicle going to be?
Does it have to turn?

Depending on scale, I think I'd be looking for a system with a spindle and a dropping weight.

NateTG said:
Depending on scale, I think I'd be looking for a system with a spindle and a dropping weight.

That's exactly what first came to my mind. Essentially you have your wheels connected via belt/chain to a mass. As you push the car back, it raises the mass. When letting go the potential energy of the mass is converted to rotational acceleration of the wheels.

The only limiting factor is structurally supporting the mass, stability, etc. However, that's trading off for potentially storing as much energy as needed (to beat the others).

Wouldnt a steady release of energy get them further than a single impulse from a dropping weight?

Well, you wouldn't get an impulse from dropping a weight if its geared correctly. Basically, you have the shafts and wheels tuned such that the force from the mass is 'just' enough to accelerate the wheels.

Let the mass drop slowly generating a lot of rotational energy.

What is a pullback mechanism vehicle?

A pullback mechanism vehicle is a toy or model vehicle that is powered by a pullback mechanism. This mechanism consists of a spring-loaded motor that is wound up by pulling the vehicle backwards, and then released to power the vehicle forward.

How does a pullback mechanism work?

A pullback mechanism works by converting potential energy stored in a spring into kinetic energy that propels the vehicle forward. When the vehicle is pulled backward, the spring is wound up, storing potential energy. When the vehicle is released, the spring unwinds, releasing the potential energy and propelling the vehicle forward.

What are the advantages of a pullback mechanism vehicle?

The main advantage of a pullback mechanism vehicle is that it does not require batteries or electricity to operate. This makes it a more environmentally friendly and cost-effective option compared to other toy vehicles. Additionally, the pullback mechanism allows for a quick and easy way to power the vehicle without the need for complex mechanisms.

What types of pullback mechanism vehicles are there?

There are various types of pullback mechanism vehicles, including cars, trucks, airplanes, and even robots. These vehicles can come in a range of sizes and designs, from simple plastic toys to intricate models with detailed features and moving parts.

Are pullback mechanism vehicles safe for children to play with?

Yes, pullback mechanism vehicles are generally safe for children to play with as they do not require any batteries or electricity. However, it is important to ensure that the vehicle is age-appropriate and does not contain small parts that could pose a choking hazard. It is also important to supervise younger children while they are playing with pullback mechanism vehicles to prevent any accidents or injuries.