Fortran Compiler and C Preprocessor

In summary, a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor are required to run the DANTSYS code, which is only supported on UNIX-like systems.
kellenhockey6
I am very new to programming and am trying to determine if a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor is a property of the specific computer one has or if it is something that can be downloaded?

Specifically I want to run the Neutron transport code, DANTSYS; system requirements are listed here: http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/codes/ccc/ccc5/ccc-547.html

Can any computer run this code or would I have to purchase something specific that meets the Fortran complier requirements? Also does anyone have any recommendations on what the best Linux operating system to pursue / learn to run this code in would be?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kellen

Technology news on Phys.org
A compiler is a piece of software (an ordinary program), used to create binaries from source code. For your purposes, basically a very elaborate installation process. For example, the GNU project has free, multiplatform C and Fortran compilers. The other tool mentioned there is GNU Make, also a GNU utility. All can be downloaded here.

Unfortunately, I doubt this software will run on anything you have. From that page, it's described as only supporting certain supercomputers - not desktop PCs. The only operating systems it supports are rather exotic (obsolete?) UNIX dialects - HP-UX, AIX, IRIX, SunOS (Solaris' predecessor), and UNICOS.

As signerror mentioned, the page has

. COMPUTER SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

DANTSYS requires a Fortran 77 compiler; a C-language preprocessor (cpp); a C-compiler (cc); and GMAKE (GnuMake from Free Software Foundation). Please be advised that in our experience some compiler versions on the various platforms are deficient in the sense that either the code will not compile or else bad assembly code is generated. We list the operating systems and Fortran compilers under which the code met our QA requirements.

1. CRAY-(UNICOS 7.0.6.1/CF77-RELEASE 6.0.3.11)

2. SUN-(SUNOS 4.1.2/F77 Version 2.0.1)

3. IBM RS/6000-(AIX 2.3/XLF RELEASE 03.02.0002.0001)

4. Hewlett Packard 9000-(HP-UX A.09.05/F77-HP UX10.0)

5. Silicon Graphics-(IRIX 5.2/F77 RELEASE 5.2).

Our Linux workstations use g77.

One could try -

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/software/g77.html

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your code description seems to date back to 1997.
If you Google the subject, you will find that much of the older codes have been ported to Linux. If you are not the hands-on type, you may want to enquire about a later version of the program, probably already ported to Linux. The RSICC catalog description on Dantsys is dated 2006, and has since taken Silicon Graphics and HP off the list of platforms. (Linux was not added).

Descriptions of other codes (for example : http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/codes/ccc/ccc6/ccc-695.html)
seem to imply that Dantsys is already ported and funcitonal on Linux with upgrade to F95.

Try to do a little more research. The extra work may be worth it.

1. What is a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor?

A Fortran compiler is a program that translates Fortran code into machine-readable code that can be executed by a computer. The C preprocessor is a tool that processes C code before it is compiled, allowing for things like macro definitions and conditional compilation.

2. How do I use a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor?

To use a Fortran compiler, you need to have a Fortran source code file and a compiler installed on your computer. You can then run the compiler to translate the code into an executable file. To use the C preprocessor, you need to include the preprocessor directives in your C code before compiling it.

3. Can I use a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor together?

Yes, you can use a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor together to compile code written in both languages. You would need to use the preprocessor directives to include any C code in your Fortran program, and then use the Fortran compiler to compile the code.

4. Are there different versions of Fortran compilers and C preprocessors?

Yes, there are different versions of Fortran compilers and C preprocessors available, each with their own features and capabilities. Some are also specific to certain operating systems or programming languages, so it's important to choose the right one for your needs.

5. Do I need to use a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor for all my programming projects?

No, you do not need to use a Fortran compiler and C preprocessor for all your programming projects. These tools are specific to Fortran and C languages, so if you are using a different programming language, you would need a different compiler and preprocessor. Additionally, some projects may not require the use of a preprocessor at all.