Will a Design Minor and Extra Math Courses Help in an Engineering Career?

• Programs
  • Thread starter djeitnstine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Minor
In summary, the decision to take additional courses in applied math for someone pursuing a minor in design and an AE degree depends on their personal interests and goals, as it could potentially provide a strong foundation for a career in design and give an edge in graduate program admissions. It may not be necessary for those without a strong interest in mathematics or engineering.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hello all,

Currently I'm pursuing a minor in design along with my AE degree. However I had a strong calling to do 2 extra courses in Applied math. Namely:

Advanced Engineering Mathematics II [
The solution of linear differential equations with variable coefficients; study of the derivation, characteristics, and solutions of partial differential equations; Fourier series, Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and Green’s function; applications in science and engineering. ]

and Boundary Value Problems [Name should be self explanatory] -Graduate level course-

(The career part) Since I really want to pursue a career in design (in propulsion) will the strong mathematical background really help me in designing?

(The academic Part) I'm planning to do my Masters of Science in AE at MIT, will this give me a boost in getting admitted and being able to handle the work right off the bat?

Edit: or will they just be redundant and overkill...

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to both of these questions depends on your interests and goals. If you have a strong interest in mathematics and engineering, then having a strong mathematical background may be beneficial in helping you design. It could also give you an edge when applying to graduate programs, as graduate programs typically like to see applicants who have a strong background in the field they're applying to. On the other hand, if you don't have a strong interest in mathematics or engineering, then taking the extra courses might not be necessary. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide whether or not the courses would be beneficial for your career and academic goals.

I can say that having a strong background in both design and mathematics can be extremely beneficial in pursuing a career in engineering, particularly in the field of propulsion. The combination of creativity and problem-solving skills from design, along with the analytical and computational skills from mathematics, can greatly enhance your ability to design and develop innovative solutions.

In terms of your academic pursuits, taking advanced courses in engineering mathematics and boundary value problems can definitely give you an edge in your graduate studies, particularly at a prestigious institution like MIT. These courses will not only strengthen your foundation in mathematical concepts, but also expose you to more complex and practical applications that are relevant to your field of interest.

However, it is important to note that while having a strong mathematical background can be advantageous, it is not the only factor that determines success in the field of design. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the principles and concepts in engineering and to be able to think creatively and critically. Therefore, it is important to strike a balance between your coursework and practical experience in order to excel in your career.

In conclusion, pursuing a minor in design and taking additional courses in mathematics can definitely benefit your career in engineering, particularly in propulsion. These skills and knowledge will not only give you a competitive edge in the job market, but also prepare you for the rigorous academic work at a top institution like MIT.

What is the AE: Design Minor + Math Minor?

The AE: Design Minor + Math Minor is a program that combines the study of design and mathematics. This interdisciplinary approach allows students to develop a strong foundation in both fields, and gain valuable skills and knowledge for a variety of career paths.

What are the requirements for the AE: Design Minor + Math Minor?

Students must complete the requirements for both the Design Minor and the Math Minor. This typically includes a combination of core courses and electives in each discipline, as well as a capstone project or thesis.

What career opportunities are available with an AE: Design Minor + Math Minor?

Graduates of this program have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in data analysis, user experience design, industrial design, and more. The combination of design and math skills make them valuable candidates in industries such as technology, finance, and engineering.

Can I pursue an AE: Design Minor + Math Minor alongside another major?

Yes, this program is designed to be flexible and can be combined with other majors. However, it is important to carefully plan out your course schedule to ensure you can fulfill all the requirements for both the Design Minor and Math Minor.

What skills will I gain from the AE: Design Minor + Math Minor?

Students in this program will develop a strong foundation in design principles, as well as advanced mathematical skills such as data analysis, statistics, and modeling. They will also gain critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are valuable in any career.