Is arcsin(sin) = 1? | Understanding the Relationship between Arcsin and Sin

• Thread starter I'm
  • Start date
In summary, arcsin(x) is a function that gives a solution to sin(y) = x, but there are infinitely many solutions and we have to specify which one we want.
I'm

Homework Statement

arcsin(sin) = 1 right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I see arcsin as 1/sin

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1/sin(x) = csc(x)

arcsin is the function such that sin(arcsin(x)) = x

Oh I think I get it.

So, I can take the arcsine of both sides in a problem such as:

sin(2x) = (Root3 )/2

and I would get arcsin(sin(2x)) = arcsin ((root3)/2)

Which would get me to 2x = arcsin ((root3)/2)?

Correct?

I'm said:
Oh I think I get it.

sin(2x) = (Root3 )/2

Correct?
Yes or no, depending on what you literally mean.

The big overwhelming obstacle that you need to make sure you understand is that the equation
sin(y)=x​
has infinitely many solutions. (or zero solutions, if |x| > 1)

If I'm to define a function Arcsin(x) that gives a solution to sin(y)=x, I can only pick one of them. (The solution lying in [itex]-\pi/2 \leq y \leq \pi/2[/itex] is traditional)

So if I want all solutions to sin(y)=x, I have more work to do because Arcsin(x) gives me one of them. Fortunately, knowing one solution, it's easy to find all of the others. (If it's not obvious, study the graph of sin(y)=x for a while...)

In otherwords, Arcsin(sin(y)) is not y. It is "the number in [itex][-\pi/2 , \pi/2][/itex] that is related to y".

Hurkyl said:
Yes or no, depending on what you literally mean.

The big overwhelming obstacle that you need to make sure you understand is that the equation
sin(y)=x​
has infinitely many solutions. (or zero solutions, if |x| > 1)

If I'm to define a function Arcsin(x) that gives a solution to sin(y)=x, I can only pick one of them. (The solution lying in [itex]-\pi/2 \leq y \leq \pi/2[/itex] is traditional)

So if I want all solutions to sin(y)=x, I have more work to do because Arcsin(x) gives me one of them. Fortunately, knowing one solution, it's easy to find all of the others. (If it's not obvious, study the graph of sin(y)=x for a while...)

In otherwords, Arcsin(sin(y)) is not y. It is "the number in [itex][-\pi/2 , \pi/2][/itex] that is related to y".

I'm said:
Oh I think I get it.

sin(2x) = (Root3 )/2

Correct?

so in this case would it be arcsin(sin(60)) = Arcsin (([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2
?

Can you give me a problem that displays what you have just told me? I'd really like to see one ( as I have not been told that in my Precalculus class).

Thanks.

I'm said:
so in this case would it be arcsin(sin(60)) = Arcsin (([tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/2
?

Can you give me a problem that displays what you have just told me? I'd really like to see one ( as I have not been told that in my Precalculus class).

Thanks.

[tex]\sin{0}=\sin{\pi}=0[/tex] but [tex]\pi \not= 0[/tex]. A function can only map one output to a given input, so we have to specify which solution we want when we say Arcsin(0). The solutions which are typically used are the ones between [tex]-\pi/2[/tex] and [tex]\pi/2[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is arcsin(sin)?

Arcsin, or inverse sine, is a mathematical function that returns the angle whose sine is equal to a given value.

2. Does arcsin(sin) always equal 1?

No, arcsin(sin) does not always equal 1. The value of arcsin(sin) depends on the input value for sine. However, if the input value for sine is 1, then arcsin(sin) will equal 1.

3. Is arcsin(sin) only used for angles?

Yes, arcsin(sin) is typically used to find the angle associated with a given sine value. It is commonly used in trigonometry and geometry.

4. Can arcsin(sin) have multiple solutions?

Yes, arcsin(sin) can have multiple solutions. This is because the sine function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. As a result, there can be multiple angles that have the same sine value.

5. How is arcsin(sin) related to other inverse trigonometric functions?

Arcsin(sin) is the inverse of the sine function, just as arccos(cos) is the inverse of the cosine function and arctan(tan) is the inverse of the tangent function. These inverse trigonometric functions are used to find the angle associated with a given trigonometric ratio.