Let X be a positive variable with E(X) =5 and E(X)^2 =31.25

In summary, the conversation is about finding an upper bound for P(X>=10) using Markov's and Chebyshev's inequality. The person asking for help is not familiar with statistics and is requesting for guidance in solving the homework problem. They are asked to show their attempt at a solution before receiving tutorial help.
Matt Wirtz
Please find an upper bound for P(X>=10) using Markov's and Chebyshev's

Please state which is which. I'm not very good at stats and this is a homework problem :P

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt Wirtz said:
Please find an upper bound for P(X>=10) using Markov's and Chebyshev's

Please state which is which. I'm not very good at stats and this is a homework problem :P

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF, Matt. We require that you show the relevant equations and your attempt at a solution, before we can offer you tutorial help.

Please show us how you would start this problem's solution...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Matt. We require that you show the relevant equations and your attempt at a solution, before we can offer you tutorial help.

Please show us how you would start this problem's solution...

That's where i 'm a little lost on this one. I have no start but i need to learn how to at least. Step by step i guess.

I hope that's somewhat acceptable by your guy's terms :)

1. What does E(X) represent in this equation?

E(X) represents the expected value or mean of variable X. It is the average value that we can expect X to take on.

2. How is the expected value of X calculated?

The expected value of X is calculated by multiplying each possible value of X by its corresponding probability, and then summing all of these products together. Mathematically, it can be represented as E(X) = ∑xP(x), where x is each possible value of X and P(x) is its corresponding probability.

3. What does E(X)^2 represent in this equation?

E(X)^2 represents the squared expected value of X. It is calculated by squaring each possible value of X, multiplying it by its corresponding probability, and then summing all of these products together. In this case, E(X)^2 = ∑x^2P(x).

4. How can we interpret E(X) = 5 in this context?

Since E(X) represents the expected value or average value of X, we can interpret E(X) = 5 as the average value of X being equal to 5. This means that, on average, we can expect X to take on a value of 5.

5. What does it mean for X to be a positive variable in this equation?

A positive variable means that the values of X can only be positive numbers. In other words, X cannot take on negative values or be equal to 0. This is important to consider when calculating the expected value and other statistical measures of X.