Gauge fixing in 5D vs 4D, and photon polarization

In summary, the photon in 3+1 D has two polarizations and the gauge field A_\mu has four components, with two extra degrees of freedom that need to be fixed. The Lorentz gauge is not sufficient, so another method needs to be used to get rid of these extra degrees of freedom.
kuon
I'm sorry if what I say is not right, or I haven't understood it right,

- In 3+1 D we have the photon with spin 1 => it has two polarizations.

Our Gauge field [tex]A_\mu[/tex] has 4 components => We have two extra degrees of freedom. => We need to get rid of the extra 2 fixing the gauge. 1. The Lorentz gauge is not enough to fix them. What else can we do?- In 4+1 D we have the photon with spin 1=> it has two polarizations.

Our Gauge field [tex]A_\mu[/tex] has 5 components => We have THREE extra degrees of freedom. => We need to get rid of the extra 3 fixing the gauge.

2. The Lorentz gauge is not enough to fix them. What else can we do?

Thank you very much for your attention :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kuon said:
I'm sorry if what I say is not right, or I haven't understood it right,

- In 3+1 D we have the photon with spin 1 => it has two polarizations.

Our Gauge field [tex]A_\mu[/tex] has 4 components => We have two extra degrees of freedom. => We need to get rid of the extra 2 fixing the gauge.

1. The Lorentz gauge is not enough to fix them. What else can we do?

In the Lorentz gauge there are two extra degrees of freedom which do not contribute even without getting rid of them. They cannot exchange the energy-momentum with physical degrees of freedom.

Thank you for your question. You are correct in saying that in 3+1 dimensions, the photon has two polarizations and the gauge field has four components, leaving two extra degrees of freedom that need to be fixed. The Lorentz gauge is one way to fix these extra degrees of freedom, but it is not enough. This is because the Lorentz gauge only fixes three of the four components of the gauge field, leaving one extra degree of freedom.

In 4+1 dimensions, the photon still has two polarizations, but the gauge field now has five components, leaving three extra degrees of freedom that need to be fixed. Again, the Lorentz gauge is not enough to fix all of these extra degrees of freedom.

To fix these extra degrees of freedom in both 3+1 and 4+1 dimensions, we can use a technique called gauge fixing. This involves choosing a specific gauge condition that will fix the extra degrees of freedom in the gauge field. One common gauge condition used is the Coulomb gauge, which fixes all of the extra degrees of freedom in both 3+1 and 4+1 dimensions.

In summary, in both 3+1 and 4+1 dimensions, the Lorentz gauge is not enough to fix all of the extra degrees of freedom in the gauge field. Gauge fixing is necessary to fully constrain the gauge field and accurately describe the behavior of the photon. I hope this helps clarify the concept of gauge fixing in higher dimensions.

1. What is gauge fixing?

Gauge fixing is a mathematical procedure in physics used to remove redundant degrees of freedom in a system. In simpler terms, it is a way of simplifying equations and calculations to make them more manageable.

2. How does gauge fixing work in 5D compared to 4D?

In 5-dimensional space, there are additional degrees of freedom compared to 4-dimensional space. This means that there are more possible ways to fix the gauge. However, the basic principles and techniques of gauge fixing are the same in both dimensions.

3. What is the significance of gauge fixing in 5D physics?

Gauge fixing is important in 5D physics because it allows for the simplification of equations and calculations, making them easier to work with. Additionally, it helps to remove redundant information and uncover the true physical meaning of a system.

4. How does photon polarization relate to gauge fixing?

Photon polarization is a property of photons that describes the orientation of their electric field. In gauge fixing, the choice of gauge can affect the polarization of a photon. This is because the gauge fixing process involves choosing a specific direction in which to measure the electric field.

5. Are there any challenges associated with gauge fixing in 5D?

Yes, there can be challenges with gauge fixing in 5D as it requires a more advanced understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, there may be multiple ways to fix the gauge in 5D, making it important to carefully choose the most appropriate one for a given situation.