Can you relate sound frequency's to light frequency's?

In summary: LaserSoundUnderwater.pdfThis article discusses how sound is created underwater using lasers. The process of making sound underwater involves creating an explosion of steam. This explosion of steam creates a 220 decibel pulse of sound.
Cyrus80772
I heard that the color red has a frequency of 43 trillion hz, and if you divide that by 2 over and over until you get a hz range that's audible to the human ear you could find the equivalent Octave of the musical note to hear what that color sounds like. I also heard that light is vibrating photons and sound is vibrating air molecules so you can compare them... If you had a ear that could hear ultra high frequency's could you hear the photons vibrating and would they intern vibrate the air molecules next to them on the same frequency? I see lots of charts on the web comparing color to sound as if they are the same thing, is there a practical way to look at this? I hear lasers can generate underwater sound dose this relate? And is the frequincy of a sound underwater the same as it would be if the sound was in air?

Science news on Phys.org
Your broad statement does not lend itself to a answer. Could you narrow it down a bit.

Sorry... Did not want to post all 4 questions separtely sense they are all related, here they are in less of a mess, thanks.

1.If you had a ear that could hear ultra high frequency's could you hear the photons vibrating and would they intern vibrate the air molecules next to them on the same frequency?

2.I see lots of charts on the web comparing color to sound as if they are the same thing, is there a scientific way to do this?

3.I hear lasers can generate underwater sound dose this prove true the statement that " Light is vibrating photons and sound is vibrating air molecules so you can compare them " ?

4.And is the frequincy of a sound underwater the same as it would be if the sound was in air?

1. No, sound is not light.

2. No, sound is not light.

3. Whoever told you lasers generate underwater sound is mistaken. (Well, I suppose you could make underwater sound by banging two laser pointers together, but that doesn't really count)

4. The frequency of a sound underwater is the same as in air, but the wavelength is not.

http://www.physorg.com/news171284762.html says lasers generate underwater sound, are they twisting the words around and that's not what is really going on? I don't know if you see the same ad at the top of this page under my first post but it has the http://www.physorg.com/news171284762.html website telling all about how the military is making sound underwater with lasers... Is that not really exactly what is going on and they are just twisting words around or somthing?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should read the article very carefully and not just stop at the title. In particular, pay attention to this passage:

Efficient conversion of light into sound can be achieved by concentrating the light sufficiently to ionize a small amount of water, which then absorbs laser energy and superheats. The result is a small explosion of steam, which can generate a 220 decibel pulse of sound.

Zz.

1. Can sound and light frequencies be directly compared to each other?

While both sound and light are types of waves, they have distinct properties and cannot be directly compared to each other. Sound waves are mechanical and require a medium to travel through, while light waves are electromagnetic and can travel through a vacuum. Additionally, sound waves have lower frequencies and longer wavelengths compared to light waves.

2. How are sound and light frequencies measured?

Sound frequency is measured in hertz (Hz), which represents the number of waves per second. Light frequency is measured in terahertz (THz), which represents the number of waves per second. Both frequencies can also be measured using cycles per second (cps) or revolutions per second (rps).

3. Is there a relationship between sound and light frequency?

There is no direct relationship between sound and light frequency. However, the human ear can hear frequencies in the range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, while the human eye can detect frequencies in the range of 430 trillion Hz to 750 trillion Hz. This means that there are some overlapping frequencies that we can perceive as both sound and light.

4. Can we convert sound frequencies to light frequencies?

No, sound frequencies cannot be converted into light frequencies. While both are types of waves, they have different properties and cannot be converted into each other. However, some scientific research has explored using sound to create light through a process called sonoluminescence, but this is not a direct conversion of frequencies.

5. How do sound and light frequencies affect us differently?

Sound and light frequencies affect us differently because they have different wavelengths and properties. Sound waves can travel through solid objects and can be felt physically, while light waves can only be seen and do not have a physical impact. Additionally, our bodies have evolved to perceive and respond to different frequencies of sound and light in different ways.