What exist in 2 dimensionality?

• Thread starter jcearley
  • Start date
In summary, dimensions are not physical objects but mathematical constructs, and particles and subatomic components are not confined to a specific dimension but exist and interact in all dimensions.
jcearley
So I've been putting a lot of thought into this and I have a question. What exist in 2 dimensionality? If strings are 1 dimensional are the protons and neutrons that they make up 2 dimensional or is it the quarks and gluons that make up those. It seems like something is being left out. I understand that we live in a 3 dimensional reality but is 3 dimensionality disconnected from 2 or 1 as it is from 5, 6, 7-10 if so I would be interested in being pointed towards learning material that could help me understand the forces which facilitate these changes in dimensional state.
If 3d is on a scale of 0 to x then would 2d end at 0 and 4d start at x?
Im sorry if this is a lil out there but it is important to me so please help.

Thank you Jc

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. The concept of dimensionality can be quite complex and it is a topic that scientists are still exploring and learning about. In terms of what exists in 2 dimensionality, it is important to note that dimensions are not necessarily physical objects or entities, but rather they are mathematical constructs that help us understand and describe the world around us.

In terms of strings, they are not considered to be 1 dimensional in the traditional sense, but rather they are considered to exist in multiple dimensions simultaneously. This is known as string theory, which suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. These strings are thought to exist in 10 dimensions, with only 3 of those dimensions being observable to us.

As for protons, neutrons, and other particles, they are considered to be 3 dimensional objects. The quarks and gluons that make up these particles are also considered to exist in 3 dimensions. However, it is important to note that these particles and their subatomic components are not confined to a specific dimension, but rather they interact and move in all dimensions.

In regards to your question about 3 dimensionality being disconnected from 2 or 1, it is important to understand that dimensions are not separate entities, but rather they are interconnected and interdependent. It is difficult for us to imagine a world with only 2 or 1 dimension because our perception and understanding of the world is based on our experience in 3 dimensions.

There are many resources available to learn more about dimensions and the forces that govern them. I would recommend starting with basic physics and mathematics textbooks to gain a better understanding of the fundamental concepts and theories. Additionally, there are many online resources and videos that can help explain these complex concepts in a more accessible way.

In terms of your question about the scale of dimensions, it is important to note that dimensions do not necessarily have a numerical value or scale. They are simply different ways of describing and understanding the world around us. The idea of 2d ending at 0 and 4d starting at x is not a widely accepted concept in the scientific community.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and point you in the right direction for further learning. Keep asking questions and exploring the fascinating world of dimensions and physics.

for sharing your thoughts and questions on the concept of 2 dimensionality. It's a complex topic and one that has been studied and debated by scientists and philosophers for centuries. To answer your question, 2 dimensionality refers to a space that has length and width, but no depth or height. In this sense, it is a flat plane or surface. Some examples of 2 dimensional objects are a piece of paper, a computer screen, or a painting.

To address your question about the protons and neutrons, they are not considered to be 2 dimensional. They are made up of quarks and gluons, which are subatomic particles that exist in a 3 dimensional space. However, some theories in physics suggest that there may be extra dimensions beyond the three that we are familiar with, but these are still being explored and studied.

In terms of understanding the forces that facilitate changes in dimensional state, I would recommend studying topics such as string theory, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. These theories and concepts can help shed light on the nature of space and dimensions. Additionally, there are many online resources and books available that can provide a deeper understanding of these concepts.

Lastly, to address your question about the scale of dimensions, it's important to note that dimensions are not necessarily linear or hierarchical. They are simply different ways of measuring and perceiving space and reality. It's a fascinating topic to explore and I encourage you to continue asking questions and seeking knowledge on the subject. I hope this helps in your understanding of 2 dimensionality.

1. What is meant by "2 dimensionality"?

"2 dimensionality" refers to the number of dimensions in a given space. In a 2-dimensional space, there are only two axes, usually denoted as x and y, and all points exist on a flat plane with no depth or height.

2. Can physical objects exist in 2 dimensions?

No, physical objects cannot exist in 2 dimensions as they require at least 3 dimensions to have depth and volume. However, 2-dimensional representations of objects can exist, such as drawings or images on a screen.

3. Are there any real-world examples of 2-dimensional structures?

Yes, there are some examples of 2-dimensional structures in nature, such as the surface of a body of water, the surface of a leaf, or the surface of a sheet of paper. However, these structures are still technically 3-dimensional, but may appear 2-dimensional at a certain scale.

4. How is 2-dimensional space different from 1-dimensional space?

In 1-dimensional space, there is only one axis and all points exist on a straight line. In 2-dimensional space, there are two axes and all points exist on a flat plane. This means that 2-dimensional space allows for more movement and complexity than 1-dimensional space.

5. What are some practical applications of studying 2-dimensional space?

Studying 2-dimensional space has many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, computer graphics, and engineering. It can also help us better understand and visualize certain concepts, such as symmetry and geometry, and can be used to model and predict real-world scenarios.