Recurrence relations and sequences

In summary, a recurrence relation is a rule that describes the operation(s) involved in a sequence, and can be written in the form a_{n+1}=f(a_n...a_1). This can be used to define arithmetic and geometric sequences, but it can also be used for more complex sequences such as the Fibonacci Sequence. While some sequences can be expressed by a formula, others can only be described by a recurrence relation.
naav
Hi...

1. so can i say that a recurrence relation is a description of the operation(s) involved in a sequence...?...

2. is the formula for an arithmetic sequence, a recurrence relation...?...

and is the formula for a geometric sequence,
a recurrence relation...?...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1.Say rather that it is a rule which forms sequence.
2.If you mean [tex]a_{n+1}=a_n+d[/tex], then it is.
3.If you mean [tex]a_{n+1}=qa_n[/tex], then it is.

Any form like this:
[tex]a_1=x[/tex]
[tex]a_{n+1}=f(a_n...a_1)[/tex]
is a recurrence relation.

Last edited:
It needn't be just a function of the previous term in the sequence. that is a first order recurrence relation, for want of a better term (think first order differential equation). things such as the fibonacci numbers satisfy a degree two difference equation (recurrence relation):

a_1=1, a_2=1, a_n=a_{n-1}=a_{n-2} for n>2,

for example

Hi...thanks...

i was told that a recurrence relation expresses a term in the sequence with regards to other terms in the sequence...whereas the formulae for the arithmetic and geometric sequences don't...

...?...

naav said:
Hi...thanks...

i was told that a recurrence relation expresses a term in the sequence with regards to other terms in the sequence...whereas the formulae for the arithmetic and geometric sequences don't...

...?...

Yes, for an arithmetic sequence, you would say that

[tex] a_n = a_{n-1} + d,~~ n = 1,2,3,... [/tex]

This is how an AS is defined. But it's not hard to figure from here, that

[tex] a_n = a_1 + (n-1)d , ~~for~~ n=1,2,3,...[/tex]

Hi...thanks...

1. so i guess there's a similar recurrence relation for a geometric sequence...?...

2. so then why have a recurrence relation when you can express the SAME sequence by a formula...?...

naav said:
Hi...thanks...

1. so i guess there's a similar recurrence relation for a geometric sequence...?...

2. so then why have a recurrence relation when you can express the SAME sequence by a formula...?...

Yes, for a Geometric Sequence,

[tex]a_n=r*a_{n-1}, ~n=1,2,3,...[/tex]
[tex] ~~~ = a_1*r^{n-1}[/tex]

Sometimes, it hard (or impossible ) to find a formula for the n'th term, but you can describe the entire series by a recurrence relation. For the Fibonacci Sequence (decribed by matt, above) it's hard to find such a formula (though there is a good approximation that works well for the large terms ).

Gokul43201 said:
For the Fibonacci Sequence (decribed by matt, above) it's hard to find such a formula (though there is a good approximation that works well for the large terms ).
I'm going to disagree here. The Fibonacci recurrence is a simple second-order linear homogenous recurrence relation with constant coefficients (both of them being 1). These types of recurrences are easily 'solvable'. The explicit formula for the Fibonacci sequence involves the Golden Ration by the way, which I find extremely curious.

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation or formula that defines a sequence of numbers. It expresses the value of a term in the sequence in terms of previous terms.

2. How are recurrence relations used?

Recurrence relations are used in a variety of fields, including mathematics, computer science, physics, and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems that involve repetitive processes or patterns.

3. What is the difference between explicit and recursive recurrence relations?

Explicit recurrence relations directly define the value of a term in the sequence, while recursive recurrence relations define the value in terms of previous terms. Recursive relations are often more complex, but they can be more useful for solving certain types of problems.

4. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

To solve a recurrence relation, you can use various methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions. These methods involve finding a closed-form solution, or a formula that directly gives the value of any term in the sequence without needing to know previous terms.

5. How are sequences related to recurrence relations?

Sequences are related to recurrence relations in that a recurrence relation defines a sequence of numbers. Sequences can also be represented as functions, and recurrence relations are a way to express the relationship between the terms of a sequence.