How do I become a Nuclear Engineer? (Split from Canadian Engineering Thread)

In summary, many universities have nuclear science and/or engineering programs. As an undergraduate, you would major in physics as an alternative.
paragphalak
can anyone guide me my way to become an nuclear engineer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many colleges and universities have nuclear science and/or engineering programs, at least at the graduate level. As an undergraduate, you would major in physics as an alternative.

What country are you in?

mathman said:
Many colleges and universities have nuclear science and/or engineering programs, at least at the graduate level. As an undergraduate, you would major in physics as an alternative.

What is a major??
is it the same as a bachelor degree?

I am not sure what they call it in Australia. In the U.S. a major is simply the subject area you concentrate in while in college. In general it means that you are taking courses in that subject all through college, sometimes more than one at a time.

guidence

mathman said:
I am not sure what they call it in Australia. In the U.S. a major is simply the subject area you concentrate in while in college. In general it means that you are taking courses in that subject all through college, sometimes more than one at a time.
can you suggest me some names of universities and the way hoe could i enter or get admissions in it.please.

guidence

mathman said:
can you suggest me some names of universities and the way how could i enter or get admissions in it.please.

paragphalak,

What country do you live in? Are you limited to universities in that country?

I know that my alma mater, University of Maryland, has a nuclear engineering degree available. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

can you suggest me some names of universities and the way how could i enter or get admissions in it.please.

Where do you live? What school level are you at now?

What is a major

futb0l said:
What is a major??
is it the same as a bachelor degree?
Your major is the subject you are studying in order to get your degree in; e.g., if you are working toward a B.S. in biology, your major is biology.

mathman said:

sorry to revive an old thread, but would taking a honours physics program somehow put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to do nuclear engineering? (versus taking a nuclear engineering bachelor's degree).

wisvuze said:
sorry to revive an old thread, but would taking a honours physics program somehow put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to do nuclear engineering? (versus taking a nuclear engineering bachelor's degree).
I wouldn't imagine so, at least not in the US. I would recommend contacting the Nuclear Engineering department of universities of interest, and inquiry with respect to one's situation.

In the US, someone entering an MS program in Nuclear Engineering would probably have to take some remedial (upper level undergraduate) courses in reactor physics and perhaps plant design.

Here are the universities with NE programs in Canada
http://www.nuclearcanada.ca/nc-wiki/index.php?title=Universities [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
wisvuze said:
... would taking a honours physics program somehow put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to do nuclear engineering? (versus taking a nuclear engineering bachelor's degree).

No, it won't put you at a disadvantage. I'd guess that at least half of the master's and phd nuclear engineers I know have bachelors degrees in physics.

HI:
I majored in Nuclear Engineer at the University of Arizona. I will now pass on to you what my professors told me. About two years before I graduated, my thermodynamics instructor ask me what my major was. When I told him "Nuclear" he look at me and said "Big Mistake!" He had his Masters Degree in the same field and couldn't get employed. During my final semester before graduation, another professor told the class "I got news for you (the class) most of you will not be nuclear engineers." About 2 years after my graduation, the Nuclear Engineer dept. of the University of Arizona was closed. The training reactor TRIGA is scheduled for decommissioning. Me, I am now unplugging toilets and changing light bulbs at a hotel. I guess there is a sense of irony here. The hotel call us "Engineers". I studied for 4 years in college to unplug toilets.

When building a house a real estate says the three most important rules are:
LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

When seeking employment in the nuclear field the three most important rules are:
EXPERIENCE! EXPERIENCE! EXPERIENCE!

I've actually seen job postings for reactor operators where the education requirement was high school or GED (college didn't mean a thing), but the job experience requirement was a minimum of 10 years.

If you REALLY want to be a nuclear engineer. I would VERY STRONGLY recommend getting into the nuclear navy program.

Good Luck
kab

kab said:
I've actually seen job postings for reactor operators where the education requirement was high school or GED (college didn't mean a thing), but the job experience requirement was a minimum of 10 years.

If you REALLY want to be a nuclear engineer. I would VERY STRONGLY recommend getting into the nuclear navy program.
The Naval nuclear program would be one way, but if one only has a high school diploma or GED and 10 of operations experience, then one's career will be pretty limited to operations. Most, if not all, senior reactor operators (SROs) I know have at least an undergrad degree, and some have naval experience. Most people with whom I work in the industry have MS or PhD. Most senior level technical management have PhDs.

thanks a lot for the information, I was hoping that it would be alright. Would there even be any benefits of a physics degree over an engineering degree for nuclear engineering?

wisvuze said:
thanks a lot for the information, I was hoping that it would be alright. Would there even be any benefits of a physics degree over an engineering degree for nuclear engineering?
Depending on the area within nuclear engineering, possibly. If one is developing some of the nuclear methods, and looking at the radiation effects on materials, particularly from a theoretical standpoint, then I'd say there is an advantage to a physics degree. I started off in physics (nuclear and astro) and migrated to nuclear engineering. Several faculty members have physics or engineering physics backgrounds. In the development of numerical methods, a background in mathematical physics should be beneficial.

1. How long does it take to become a nuclear engineer?

Becoming a nuclear engineer typically requires a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, which usually takes 4 years to complete. Some universities also offer a 5-year combined bachelor's and master's degree program. After completing your degree, you may need to gain additional experience through internships or entry-level positions before becoming a fully qualified nuclear engineer.

2. What are the necessary skills for a nuclear engineer?

Nuclear engineers need a strong background in math, physics, and engineering principles. They also need excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for working on complex projects and collaborating with other engineers and scientists.

3. Do I need a license to become a nuclear engineer?

In the United States, nuclear engineers do not need a license to work in the field. However, many nuclear engineers choose to obtain a Professional Engineering (PE) license, which can lead to higher salaries and more job opportunities. To obtain a PE license, you must have a degree from an accredited engineering program, pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, gain relevant work experience, and pass the Professional Engineering exam.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of nuclear engineering?

Yes, many nuclear engineers choose to specialize in a particular area, such as reactor design, nuclear safety, radiation protection, or waste management. Some universities also offer concentrations or tracks within their nuclear engineering programs, allowing students to focus on a specific aspect of the field.

5. Are there any certifications or professional organizations for nuclear engineers?

There are several certifications available for nuclear engineers, such as the Certified Nuclear Engineer (CNE) offered by the American Nuclear Society (ANS). This certification requires passing an exam and demonstrating experience and knowledge in the field. There are also several professional organizations for nuclear engineers, such as the ANS, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and the Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), which offer resources, networking opportunities, and professional development for members.