Flux of magnetic moment into a coil

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving a magnetic material placed in a coil to evaluate the flux induced by the material and optimize the coil's parameters. The problem is that the integral over the loop surface does not converge, but the full function can be integrated over a disk centered at x=y=0. If the magnetic moment is set at a d offset from the loop center, the expression becomes more complex and cannot be solved using a closed form. Numeric integration may be the only solution.
flying_fred
Hi,

I've an experiment in which I've some magnetic material place into a coil that's used as sensor. Say it's a cylindrical one for the sake of simplicity.
I'm trying to evaluate the flux induced by the material into the coil so that I can optimize the coil parameters (size, position and later its shape).
The material magnetization is given as a function of position.
To start as simple as possible I'm trying to evaluate the flux induced by a small magnetic moment placed at the center of a circular loop, the moment being perpendicular to the loop plane. Then I'll integrate it over the whole coil, then over the whole material volume.

The moment axial component is given at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment#Magnetic_field_produced_by_a_magnetic_moment"

The problem I'm facing is that the integral over the loop surface doesn't converge.
Setting z=0, y=0 and x=r, then integrating 2 pi r Bz[r,0,0] over the [0,R] interval we get
[tex]\Phi =\int_0^R \frac{\mu \mu_{0}}{2 r^2} \, dr[/tex]

which obviously does not converge.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any hint,
Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, replying to myself...

then the
[tex]\Phi =\int_0^R \frac{\mu \mu_{0}}{2 r^2} \, dr[/tex]

integral does not converge but the full function Bz[x,y,z] (with x=r and y=0) is integrable on the disk and gives:

[tex]\Phi =\int_0^R \frac{{3\mu \mu_{0}}}{4\pi } \cdot \frac{z^2-\frac{1}{3}\left(x^2+y^2+z^2\right)}{\left(x^2+y^2+z^2\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}} \cdot 2\pi r \, dr =\int_0^R \frac{{3\mu \mu_{0}}}{4\pi } \cdot \frac{z^2-\frac{1}{3}\left(r^2+z^2\right)}{\left(r^2+z^2\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}} \cdot 2\pi r \, dr [/tex]

which simplifies to :

[tex]\Phi =\int_0^R \frac{{\mu \mu_{0}}}{2} \cdot \frac{\left2 z^2-r^2\right}{\left(r^2+z^2\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}} \cdot r \, dr [/tex]

and nicely integrates to:

[tex]\Phi = \frac{ {\mu \mu_0}}{2} \frac{R^2}{\left(R^2+z^2\right)^{3/2}}[/tex]

yielding the simple

[tex]\Phi = \frac{ {\mu \mu_0}}{2R}[/tex] at z=0.
If now the magnetic moment is set at a d offset from the loop center, say on the x axis, the expression is much more complex and, still integrating over a disk centered at x=y=0, the Bz[x,y,z] field component becomes:

[tex]{Bz}[r {Cos}[\theta ]-d,r {Sin}[\theta ],z][/tex]

and the surface integral is now:

[tex]\Phi = \int_0^R \int_0^{2\,\pi\right} \frac{{3\mu \mu_0}}{4\pi } \cdot \frac{z^2-\frac{1}{3}\left((r{Cos}[\theta ]-d)^2+r^2 {Sin^2}[\theta ]+z^2\right)}{\left((r{Cos}[\theta ]-d)^2+r^2 {Sin^2}[\theta ]+z^2\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}} \cdot 2\pi r \, dr [/tex]

which simplifies to:

[tex]\Phi = \int_0^R \int_0^{2\,\pi\right} \frac{\mu\,\mu_0}{2} \cdot \frac{\left d^2+r^2-2 z^2+2\, d\, r\, \text{Cos}[\theta ]\right}{\left(d^2+r^2+z^2+2\, d\, r\, \text{Cos}[\theta ]\right)^{5/2}}\cdot r \, d\theta\, dr [/tex]

At this point I'm stuck and I can't find any closed form for that double integral.

Anyone knowing if it's already been solved (and where) or if numeric integration is the only resort there?

Thanks in advance,
Fred.

Hi Fred,

It seems like you are trying to calculate the magnetic flux induced by a magnetic moment placed at the center of a circular loop. In order to do this, you will need to use the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point in space to the current flowing through a wire or loop. The equation you are using, which is derived from the Biot-Savart law, assumes a current flowing through the loop, not a magnetic moment placed at the center. This is why your integral is not converging.

To calculate the flux induced by a magnetic moment, you will need to use the equation \Phi = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{m}\cdot \vec{r}}{r^3} \, dV, where \vec{m} is the magnetic moment and \vec{r} is the position vector from the moment to the point in space where you want to calculate the flux. This integral will converge and give you the flux induced by the magnetic moment.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the definition of "flux of magnetic moment into a coil"?

The flux of magnetic moment into a coil is the measure of the total magnetic field passing through a coil of wire. It is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field produced by the coil.

2. How is the flux of magnetic moment into a coil calculated?

The flux of magnetic moment into a coil is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (in Tesla or gauss) by the area of the coil that the magnetic field passes through (in square meters or centimeters).

3. What factors affect the flux of magnetic moment into a coil?

The flux of magnetic moment into a coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the coil, and the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil's surface. It is also affected by the presence of magnetic materials or other coils nearby.

4. How does the direction of the flux of magnetic moment into a coil affect its properties?

The direction of the flux of magnetic moment into a coil affects the polarity of the magnetic field it produces. Reversing the direction of the flux will also reverse the polarity of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the flux of magnetic moment into a coil?

The flux of magnetic moment into a coil has many applications, including in electromagnets, electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like metal detectors, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains.