What is the Phase Constant for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator with Given Graphs?

In summary: However, you can set the equations for position and velocity equal to each other at a specific time, t=0, and solve for the phase constant ϕ.In summary, the position and velocity functions for a simple harmonic oscillator can be represented by x = xmcos(ωt + ϕ) and v = -ωxmsin(ωt + ϕ), respectively. By setting these equations equal to each other at t=0, we can solve for the phase constant ϕ, which is found to be 1.01 radians in this case.
foundAnAnswer

Homework Statement

Part (a) of the figure below is a partial graph of the position function x(t) for a simple harmonic oscillator with an angular frequency of 1.35 rad/s; Part (b) of the figure is a partial graph of the corresponding velocity function v(t). The vertical axis scales are set by xs = 6.5 cm and vs = 7.0 cm/s. What is the phase constant of the SHM if the position function x(t) is given by the form x = xmcos(ωt + ϕ)?

15-20.gif

Homework Equations

x = xmcos(ωt + ϕ)
v = -ωxmsin(ωt + ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the X vs. t graph the line crosses t=0 when x = 2.6. For the V vs. t graph the line crosses t=0 when v=-5.6.

I thought then I could just plug all the number in and find out when they are equal

2.6 = 6.5cos(1.35*0+ϕ)
-5.6 = -8.775sin(1.35*0+ϕ)

I subtracted 2.6 from both sides for the first equation and added 5.6 to both sides for the second. I then set them equal. I used my calculator to attempt to solve them.

Looking at them separately it looks like it should be 1.15 radians for X and .69 radians for V (Roughly).

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I shouldn't be reading the graph like I am. or I am simply reading it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Found an answer. I don't understand why this is correct, but dividing velocity by position gives the following

v/x = tan-1([tex]\frac{Velocity @ t=0}{Position @ t=0 TIMES Angular Frequency}[/tex])

So that leaves

tan-1([tex]\frac{-5.6}{2.6 * 1.35}[/tex]) = -1.01

I think then since it is shifted I changed it to positive 1.01.

That answer was taken as correct.

One equation represents position and the other represents velocity. Since the units are different, you can never "set them equal."

1. What is the phase constant?

The phase constant is a value that represents the starting point of a periodic function. It is denoted by the symbol φ and is measured in radians. It determines the horizontal shift of a function and helps in determining its position on the x-axis.

2. How is the phase constant calculated?

The phase constant can be calculated by finding the inverse tangent of the ratio of the vertical shift and the horizontal shift of the function. This can also be done by using the formula φ = 2πx/T, where x is the horizontal shift and T is the period of the function.

3. What is the significance of the phase constant in waves?

In waves, the phase constant determines the starting point of the wave. It helps in understanding the position of the wave on the x-axis and how it relates to other waves in the same system. The phase constant also affects the amplitude and frequency of the wave.

4. How does the phase constant affect interference patterns?

The phase constant plays a crucial role in determining the interference patterns of waves. In constructive interference, waves with the same phase constant combine to form a larger amplitude, while in destructive interference, waves with opposite phase constants cancel each other out.

5. Can the phase constant change over time?

Yes, the phase constant can change over time in certain situations. For example, in a damped oscillation, the phase constant decreases over time as the amplitude decreases. In other cases, such as in a standing wave, the phase constant remains constant over time.