Solving two absolute value variables.

In summary, after breaking up the problem into four cases and solving for A and B in each case, the only possible values for A and B that satisfy the given equations are A=43/5 and B=-11/5. This results in A+B=32/5 as the only possible value for A+B.
fatcrispy

Homework Statement

Given: |A|+A+B=15 and A+|B|-B=13. What is A+B equal to? Give all possibilities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve for both absolute variables. So,

A=15-A-B or A=A+B-15
and
B=13-A+B or B=A-B-13

Firstly, I solve for A.

A+A=15-B
2A=15-B
A=[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]

and
A-A=B-15
0=B-15
B=15

Plug them back into the original eq. to see if it works.
|[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]|+[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]+B=15
|[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]|=15-B-[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]
|[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]|=+/- [tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]
So that works. But when I plug in B=15 into the original eq. it doesn't.

So far, I have A=[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]. Next, I solve for B.

B-B=13-A
0=13-A
A=13

and
B+B=A-13
2B=A-13
B=[tex]\frac{A-13}{2}[/tex]

So, I plug in B into the original equation(the second one given).
Plugging in A=13 just comes out to B=+/- B.
Plugging in B=[tex]\frac{A-13}{2}[/tex] results in
[tex]\frac{A-13}{2}[/tex]=+/- [tex]\frac{A-13}{2}[/tex].

So, when the problem asks for A+B, how do I add them? Do I do:

A+B=[tex]\frac{15-B}{2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{A-13}{2}[/tex] ?

Please help! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would approach this problem by breaking it up into four cases, to get rid of the absolute values.

I: Assume A > 0 and B > 0.
In this case, the equations are 2A + B = 15 and A + B - B = 13. The 2nd equation is equivalent to A = 13. Solving for B, I get B = -11, which is a contradiction with the assumption that B > 0.

II: Assume A > 0 and B < 0.
With this assumption |A| = A and |B| = -B.
This case gives me values for A and B that don't contradict the assumption in this case.

III: Assume A < 0 and B > 0.
IV: Assume A < 0 and B < 0.

Mark44 said:
I would approach this problem by breaking it up into four cases, to get rid of the absolute values.

I: Assume A > 0 and B > 0.
In this case, the equations are 2A + B = 15 and A + B - B = 13. The 2nd equation is equivalent to A = 13. Solving for B, I get B = -11, which is a contradiction with the assumption that B > 0.

II: Assume A > 0 and B < 0.
With this assumption |A| = A and |B| = -B.
This case gives me values for A and B that don't contradict the assumption in this case.

III: Assume A < 0 and B > 0.
B=15, A=13. Plugging in shows that A does equal 13 but B=-11 which contradicts B>0.
IV: Assume A < 0 and B < 0.
I get B=15, B=(A-13)/2. Plugging in I get A=13(contradicts A<0) and B=-11.

So, it seems that II is the only one without a contradiction. So, does that mean I only use A=(15-B)/2 and B=(A-13)/2 ?? And just add them A+B=(15-B)+(A-13) / 2. So, my final answer will be (A-B+2)/2 = A+B?

Right? (A-B+2)/2 gives me the value of A+B? Nothing else would be the value right? I appreciate your help.

No, your final answer should be a number. What values did you get for A and B in the 2nd case?

Mark44 said:
No, your final answer should be a number. What values did you get for A and B in the 2nd case?

Oh, well in that case I got A=43/5 and B=-11/5. Thus, A+B=32/5 ? and that is the only answer right?

Could someone please help me finish this problem? Mark, thanks for everything!

Those are the numbers I get for the 2nd case. The only cases I checked are the first two, so if you're confident in your results for the 3rd and 4th cases, then you've got your answer.

What is the meaning of "solving two absolute value variables"?

Solving two absolute value variables refers to finding the values of two variables in an equation that contain absolute value symbols. These symbols indicate that the values of the variables inside them must be positive, regardless of their original sign.

Why is solving two absolute value variables important?

Solving two absolute value variables is important because it allows us to find the true solutions of an equation that involves absolute value. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in many real-life applications, such as solving inequalities and optimizing functions.

What are the steps to solve an equation with two absolute value variables?

The steps to solve an equation with two absolute value variables are:

1. Isolate the absolute value expressions on both sides of the equation.
  2. Solve the two resulting equations separately, one with a positive value and one with a negative value.
  3. Verify the solutions by substituting them back into the original equation.

What happens if the absolute value symbols are on both sides of the equation?

If the absolute value symbols are on both sides of the equation, you will need to split the equation into two separate equations and follow the same steps as above. This is because the absolute value of a negative number is the same as the positive value of that number.

Can an equation with two absolute value variables have more than two solutions?

Yes, an equation with two absolute value variables can have more than two solutions. This happens when there are multiple absolute value expressions in the equation or when the equation has no solutions. In these cases, it is important to verify all possible solutions to ensure that they satisfy the original equation.