Elementary question involving turkey thaw process

In summary, the discussion revolves around thawing an 18 lb. turkey in cold water, with the water being replaced every 30 minutes. The question is whether using a larger container will allow for changing the water less frequently and still achieve the same results. The conversation also mentions a heat diffusion equation for cooking a turkey and the need for values for heat capacity and thermal conductivity.
JonS356
I hope that someone here can answer this question...

I have an 18 lb. turkey that needs to be thawed in cold water over 9 hrs., with the cold water replaced every 30 minutes.

If I use a container about 3 times the size of the sink, will that allow me to change out the water every hour and a half (3x30mins.) and get the same results? That doesn't seem right...

Thanks for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump- Please reply! Thanks.

One more try. Looking for equation to calculate thaw time difference between sink-size and tub-size?

JonS356 said:
One more try. Looking for equation to calculate thaw time difference between sink-size and tub-size?
Here is on page 22-23 the heat diffusion equation for cooking a turkey in spherical coordinates:
http://cbe255.che.wisc.edu/diffusion.pdf
Separation of variables and integrating are straight forward. But what are good values for the heat capacity and thermal conductivity for a turkey?
Thanks
Bob S

1. How long does it take to thaw a turkey?

The time it takes to thaw a turkey depends on its weight. A good rule of thumb is to allow 24 hours for every 4-5 pounds of turkey. So a 20-pound turkey will take approximately 4-5 days to thaw in the refrigerator.

2. Can I thaw a turkey at room temperature?

No, it is not safe to thaw a turkey at room temperature. Bacteria can grow quickly at room temperature, increasing the risk of foodborne illness. It is best to thaw the turkey in the refrigerator or in cold water.

3. How do I thaw a turkey in the refrigerator?

Place the turkey in its original packaging or a leak-proof plastic bag in a large pan or tray in the refrigerator. Make sure the temperature is set at or below 40°F. Allow approximately 24 hours for every 4-5 pounds of turkey.

4. How do I thaw a turkey in cold water?

If you need to thaw the turkey quickly, you can submerge it in cold water. Make sure the turkey is in a leak-proof plastic bag and change the water every 30 minutes to keep it cold. It takes about 30 minutes per pound to thaw a turkey using this method.

5. Can I cook a turkey that is partially frozen?

It is not recommended to cook a turkey that is still partially frozen. The outside may cook, but the inside may not reach a safe temperature, leading to potential foodborne illness. It is best to thaw the turkey completely before cooking it.