Solve Divergence Question: Calculate (B [dot] \nabla)A

• Thread starter Aristata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divergence
In summary, when calculating (B [dot] \nabla)A, the answer should be \widehat{x}(3y) + \widehat{y}(-4x). However, in the given explanation, there is a small mistake in the representation of B \cdot \nabla, which should be 3y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - 2x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}. Then, rewriting \vec{A} as (x,2y,3z) and multiplying through the operator by taking the derivatives of each element, we can correctly obtain the desired answer.
Aristata
Given two vectors, A and B:

[tex]A = (x\widehat{x} + 2y\widehat{y} + 3z\widehat{z})[/tex]
[tex]B = (3y\widehat{x} - 2x\widehat{y})[/tex]

I need to calculate [tex](B [dot] \nabla)A[/tex], as part of a problem. The answer should be:

[tex]\widehat{x}(3y) + \widehat{y}( -4x)[/tex]

I get:

[tex](B [dot] \nabla)A = ((3y) \delta / \delta x - (2x)\delta / \delta y) (x\widehat{x} + 2y\widehat{y} + 3z\widehat{z})[/tex]
[tex]=(0+0)(x\widehat{x} + 2y\widehat{y} + 3z\widehat{z})[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me out please? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aristata said:
Given two vectors, A and B:

I get:

[tex](B [dot] \nabla)A = ((3y) \delta / \delta x - (2x)\delta / \delta y) (x\widehat{x} + 2y\widehat{y} + 3z\widehat{z})[/tex]
[tex]=(0+0)(x\widehat{x} + 2y\widehat{y} + 3z\widehat{z})[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me out please? Thanks in advance!

Hey Aristata!

First what is [tex]B \cdot \nabla[/tex]? Above you have written it out slightly wrong (but this may have been just a latex typo.) It should look like:

[tex]3y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - 2x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex]

I would suggest rewriting [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] as [tex](x,2y,3z)[/tex] so you would obtain:

[tex]\left (3y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} - 2x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right ) (x,2y,3z)[/tex].

Now ''multiply'' through the operator as if it were a scalar acting on a vector. Similar to:

[tex]\lambda \vec{A} = (\lambda a_1, \lambda a_2, \lambda a_3)[/tex]

Since [tex]\lambda[/tex] in your case is an operator, you have to perform the action of [tex]\lambda[/tex] on each of [tex]a_1, a_2, a_3[/tex]. In particular take the derivatives of those elements.

Hope this wasn't too vague :).

1. What is the meaning of "Solve Divergence Question: Calculate (B [dot] \nabla)A"?

This means to find the divergence of the vector field (B dot nabla)A.

2. How do you solve for the divergence of a vector field?

The formula for calculating the divergence of a vector field is div(F) = dFx/dx + dFy/dy + dFz/dz, where F is the vector field and x, y, and z are the components of the vector.

3. What is the importance of calculating the divergence of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field is an important concept in vector calculus and is used to measure the flow of a vector field at a given point. It can also help identify sources and sinks within the vector field.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a divergence question?

Sure, for example, let's say we have a vector field F = x^2i + y^2j + z^2k. To find the divergence, we use the formula dFx/dx + dFy/dy + dFz/dz. So, dFx/dx = 2x, dFy/dy = 2y, and dFz/dz = 2z. Therefore, the divergence of F is div(F) = 2x + 2y + 2z.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving divergence questions?

The concept of divergence is used in many fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and economics. In fluid mechanics, it is used to analyze the flow of liquids and gases. In electromagnetics, it helps calculate the electric and magnetic fields. In economics, it can be used to study the flow of resources or goods.