Can an Engineering Degree Lead to Graduate Studies in Physics?

In summary: E+M and controls classes.In summary, the conversation revolved around a former Computer Science student considering a new major and the potential for pursuing graduate work in physics with an engineering degree. It was mentioned that in industry positions, there is overlap between engineering and physics jobs, but for research, it can be more challenging to make the transition. The discussion also touched on tailoring an Electrical Engineering degree towards theoretical physics.
mewrei
Hey everyone, apologies if this has been asked before.

Basically I'm an ex-Computer Science student (I left for two reasons, the first was that I was tired of all the people in the course that just wanted a degree and didn't want to put in extra effort to make the program really top-notch, the second was because I got a job as a programmer, and a real one, I actually work alongside 2 graduates of Computer Science from the school I was going to, so it seemed redundant to get a CS degree).

And I'm looking for a new major for college. I'm a big math goon (loved Theoretical CS), and I like theoretical physics, so I was inclined towards the physics major but the problem is getting a job after college.

IT is great and all but I'd prefer not to be a cubicle jockey my whole life if I can avoid it.

I've been tossing around Physics, Engineering Physics, and Engineering disciplines like Electrical Engineering. A school nearby apparently has a very good electrical engineering program (I know a few guys in the course and they love it).

So I've been debating, if I go for an engineering degree like EE or EP, can I still do graduate work in physics should I so choose to do so?

Also, would a better option be like Engineering Physics be better than Electrical Engineering if I don't particularly want to stay in EE my whole life? Or should I focus on getting something like an EE degree then use my graduate work for a career change?

Thanks for the help guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, the questions that you have asked are very difficult to answer. The reason for this is that whether or not an engineering graduate would be able to work in a 'physics' job, or pursue research in physics, depends entirely on the specific field in question.

Generally, in industry positions, there will be a lot of cross-over between types of engineering and 'physics' jobs. For the purposes of this discussion, physics can be considered a 'general' degree: with engineering being the practical applications of physics in a specific area (e.g. electrical or mechanical).

This means that in industry positions, employers recruiting for engineering positions will still find definite value in also trying to attract physicists to their positions. Graduate programmes usually require a 'physical sciences or engineering' degree.

For research, however, the situation is quite a bit more tricky. In my experience, physics PhDs will be restricted to physicists or applied mathematicians. It should be noted that this depends on your area of interest. For example, theoretical particle physics research may require a physics undergraduate, but a design-orientated experimental position would also potentially be suitable for an engineer. Likewise, there will be many engineering research projects that will accept physicists - I would guess that physicists have an easier time finding an area that will better accept the transition - however make no mistake that learning the engineering language, as it were, will be a challenge and you will have to catch up with the rest of the department.

I'm a physics graduate currently completing my engineering doctorate, despite really having no exposure to engineering at any stage in my undergraduate.You'll also want to read these two threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15898

Keep in mind that EE is extremely broad ranging from E+M to Power Systems to Computers to electronics and much more. You could probably tailor your EE degree towards the theoretical physics aspects

1. What is a major with graduate options?

A major with graduate options, also known as a "4+1" program, is an undergraduate degree program that allows students to complete both their bachelor's and master's degrees in a shortened amount of time. This option typically combines the final year of undergraduate studies with the first year of graduate coursework, saving students time and money in the long run.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a major with graduate options?

The main benefit of pursuing a major with graduate options is the time and cost savings. Students can finish their advanced degrees in a shorter amount of time, which means they can enter the workforce or continue their education sooner. Additionally, this option can also lead to increased job opportunities and higher salaries.

3. Can any major have graduate options?

No, not all majors have graduate options. Typically, only certain fields of study that require advanced degrees, such as business, engineering, and healthcare, offer this option. It's important to research and consult with your academic advisor to determine if your major has this option available.

4. What is the application process like for a major with graduate options?

The application process for a major with graduate options is similar to that of a traditional master's degree program. Students will need to meet the admission requirements, which may include a certain GPA and standardized test scores. They will also need to submit a separate application for the graduate program, along with any required materials, such as letters of recommendation and a personal statement.

5. Can I change my mind and not complete the graduate portion of the program?

Yes, students are not obligated to complete the graduate portion of the program. If they decide not to continue with the advanced degree, they can still graduate with their bachelor's degree. However, they may not receive any credit for the graduate coursework completed, and it's important to communicate this decision with their academic advisor to ensure they are on track for graduation.