How Do You Solve a Vector Tension Problem with Three Ropes?

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension of three ropes holding two weights of 20 N and 10 N. By separating the forces into x and y components and drawing force diagrams at each junction, four equations can be created to solve for the tensions.
elfmotat
Homework Statement

2 weights of 20 N and 10 N are hung from 3 ropes. Find the tension of T1, T2, and T3:
vector.jpg

The attempt at a solution

If I designate one of the points as the origin, I get:

[tex]T_1sin45+T_2sin0+T_3sin30=30 N[/tex]

and

[tex]T_2cos0+T_3cos30-T_1sin45=0[/tex]

I'm having trouble finding a third equation... if those two are even right in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and stick to separating the forces into x and y components, at least mentally.

If you think about the forces that only act in the vertical direction for each weight separately you should be able to pretty much read off the values for T1 and T3, just use one of those to get you on to the shared tension.

You have four equations at your disposal, both axes for both weights.

Kabbotta said:
Try and stick to separating the forces into x and y components, at least mentally.

If you think about the forces that only act in the vertical direction for each weight separately you should be able to pretty much read off the values for T1 and T3, just use one of those to get you on to the shared tension.

You have four equations at your disposal, both axes for both weights.

Sorry... I don't understand what you're saying. I don't know how to separate it into components with a system with more than one weight.

Sorry I thought that might be the problem,

At each junction of wires you can draw a little force diagram like this.

You can create four equations by focusing on only one axis at a time.

First one, this is only the force that acts parallel to the y-axis w/ the left knot at it's center.

[tex]\sum F_{y} = T_{1}Sin(45) -20 N. = 0[/tex]

Attachments

• ForceDiagram.png
    ForceDiagram.png
    739 bytes · Views: 378

1. What is a vector tension problem?

A vector tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the tension force in a system of multiple ropes or cables. It requires understanding of vector addition and resolving forces in different directions.

2. How do you solve a vector tension problem?

To solve a vector tension problem, you must first draw a diagram of the system and label all the forces acting on each rope or cable. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force in each direction. Finally, use trigonometric functions to calculate the tension force in each rope or cable.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector tension?

Scalar tension is a magnitude-only measurement, while vector tension includes both magnitude and direction. In vector tension problems, it is important to consider the direction of the tension force in addition to its magnitude.

4. What are some real-life applications of vector tension?

Vector tension problems are commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and stability of structures such as bridges and buildings. They are also relevant in sports, such as rock climbing and sailing, where ropes and cables are used to support and move objects.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector tension problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the direction of the tension force in addition to its magnitude. It is also important to make sure all forces are properly labeled and accounted for in the diagram. Another mistake is using the wrong trigonometric function to calculate the tension force, so it is important to review and understand the properties of sine, cosine, and tangent functions.