How does a maglev train get on-board power?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy source for a moving maglev train and the possibility of using conventional wireless communications to transmit data to the train. The use of induction through coils under the track and on the train is mentioned as a way to power the train without requiring wiring. It is also noted that the magnetic field produced by the train is relatively weak and would not significantly impact passengers or radio communications. The term "windings" is explained as the number of times wire is wrapped around a coil, with increasing the number of windings being a way to increase the strength of the magnet.
ldeane
Greetings, I'm a physics newbie with a simple (?) question. If it's free-floating, where does the energy come from to power the lights, controls, etc. inside a moving maglev train?

Another related question, if data needs to be transmitted to a moving maglev train, can it be done through conventional wireless communications? I was thinking that a strong magnetic field might interfere with a wireless signal, but then I thought that only charged particles would be deflected by a magnetic field. Can anyone tell me if my thinking is on the right 'track'. :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Induction: a coil under the track near a coil on the train induces a current flow just like in a transformer.

For radio comms, the magnets wouldn't affect it unless the coils generate their own radio signal (of course, if they do, you could modulate that signal to carry data).

Welcome aboard!

russ_watters said:
Induction: a coil under the track near a coil on the train induces a current flow just like in a transformer.

For radio comms, the magnets wouldn't affect it unless the coils generate their own radio signal (of course, if they do, you could modulate that signal to carry data).

Welcome aboard!

Russ Thanks! and it's great to be here!

I'm telling you my understandings from Maglev system Transrapid (TR07):
first question: the linear generators intergrated into the support magnets supply power for the train, so no wiring is required.
second question: The magnetic field produced by the train is about 100 µTesla (just double stronger than Earth's magnetic field), therefore its impact on passengers as well as radio comm system is extremely small.

Last edited:
Hi Russ_watter,
I appreciate your explanation.
The term "windings" is rather vague to me, so could you help me to get the right understanding of it.
Thank so much!

Last edited:
An inductor is a coil of wire that can become an electromagnet when electrical current flows through the wire. In effect it stores magnetic energy like a capacitor stores electrical energy.

To increase its magnetic strength, you could pass more electrical current (which creates more heat) or you could make it a bigger coil where the wire is going to wrap around a few more times.

To get the wire in a nice coil, typically a winding machine is used to arrange the wire so it is placed nice and neatly to maximize the amount of wire in a given space (to make it even more effective). Hence the term winding, its the number of times the wire is wrapped around inside the coil. So adding more windings is a way to increase the strength of the magnet (all other things being equal).

Cliff

Thank you Cliff for your explantion!

1. How does a maglev train generate electricity on board?

A maglev train gets its on-board power through the use of onboard batteries or through an external power source, such as overhead wires or third rail systems.

2. What type of energy source does a maglev train use?

Maglev trains can use a variety of energy sources, including electricity, solar power, and hydrogen fuel cells.

3. How does a maglev train convert energy into motion?

Maglev trains use the principles of electromagnetic propulsion to convert electrical energy into motion. Electromagnets on the train interact with a track of magnets, creating a magnetic field that propels the train forward.

4. What is the advantage of using a maglev train's onboard power over traditional trains?

Maglev trains do not require physical contact with the track, allowing for higher speeds, reduced friction, and smoother rides. Additionally, they are more energy-efficient and have lower maintenance costs compared to traditional trains.

5. Can a maglev train operate without an external power source?

Yes, maglev trains can operate on battery power alone. However, this limits their speed and distance traveled, as the batteries will eventually need to be recharged or replaced.