Special relativity: components of a metric tensor

In summary: I was getting all fussed up about the summation, but it is only implied, not explicit.In summary, the problem involves finding the covariant and contravariant components of the metric tensor for an interval in Minkovski space given in spherical coordinates. The general expression for a metric tensor is used to derive the components, and the lecturer provides a correlation to the Schwarzschild metric. It is noted that g_{\mu\sigma}g^{\mu\rho}=\delta^\rho_\sigma, and the components of g_{\mu\nu} are read off by comparing the expression to the given interval.
Uku

Homework Statement

An interval in Minkovski space is given in spheric coordinates as;

[tex]ds^{2}=c^{2}dt^{2}-dr^{2}-r^{2}d\theta^{2}-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta d\phi^{2}[/tex]

Now I have to find the covariant and contravariant components of the metric tensor.

Homework Equations

General expression of a metric tensor is:
[tex]G=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}[/tex] which also equals [tex]ds^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some messy answer written down from the lecture, but can't get it clear.
Seems that I have written down the covariant components of the metric as
[tex]g_{00}=1[/tex]
[tex]g_{11}=-1[/tex]
[tex]g_{22}=-r^{2}[/tex]
[tex]g_{33}=-r^{2}sin^{2}\theta[/tex]
Are these the covariant components that the problem asks me to find? How are they found?

I see a correlation in the Schwarzschild metric

G=[PLAIN]http://rqgravity.net/images/gravitation/Gravitation-92.gif

After this it seems that the lecturer has written down that

[tex]g_{\mu\sigma} g^{\mu\rho}=\delta^{\rho}_{\sigma}[/tex]

Is this correct?

So I get a matrix on which all the components on the main diagonal are 1. From there I can derive that the contra-variant components of the metric are simply inverses of the above covariant metric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you expand the implied summations in [itex]ds^2 = g_{\mu\nu} dx^\mu dx^\nu[/tex], you get

[tex]ds^2 = g_{00} dx^0 dx^0 + g_{01}dx^0dx^1 + \cdots + g_{32}dx^3dx^2 + g_{33}dx^3dx^3[/tex]

Keeping in mind that [itex]x^0 = t[/itex], [itex]x^1 = r[/itex], [itex]x^2 = \theta[/itex], and [itex]x^3 = \phi[/itex], compare that expression to

[tex]ds^2 = dt^2 - dr^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]

You can just read off the components of [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex].

Your notes are correct in that [itex]g_{\mu\sigma}g^{\mu\rho}=\delta^\rho_\sigma[/itex]. Consider

[tex]x_\rho = g_{\rho\sigma} x^\sigma=g_{\rho\sigma}g^{\sigma\mu}x_\mu[/tex]

You can see that all [itex]g_{\rho\sigma}g^{\sigma\mu}[/itex] does is change the label of the index on [itex]x_\mu[/itex]. In other words, it's just the identity.

Last edited:
Thanks!

A well, actually I have a question still.
The bit:

[tex]ds^{2}=g_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu} dx^{\nu}[/tex]

indicates summation over 16 (4x4) values, yes? With only the main diagonal being significant on the g.

EDIT: yes, that is what happens.

Last edited:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What are the components of a metric tensor in special relativity?

In special relativity, the metric tensor has four components, which represent the four dimensions of space and time. These components are used to calculate distances and intervals in spacetime.

3. How does the metric tensor relate to the concept of spacetime?

The metric tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the geometry of spacetime in special relativity. It defines the relationship between space and time and allows for the calculation of distances and intervals in this four-dimensional space.

4. Why is the metric tensor important in special relativity?

The metric tensor is crucial in special relativity because it allows for the consistent application of the laws of physics in all frames of reference. It also enables the prediction and understanding of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. How is the metric tensor used to calculate the curvature of spacetime?

In general relativity, the metric tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. By solving Einstein's field equations using the metric tensor, we can calculate the curvature of spacetime and understand how massive objects affect the fabric of space and time.