Is the Key Correct? Simplifying Complex Numbers Using Roots of Unity

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve an exercise involving z^2005+(1/z^2005) using the given equation z^2+z+1=0. The individual first attempts to use a solution from the key in the book, but then questions if the key is correct. They then receive guidance on how to approach the problem using the equation z^2+z+1=0, and ultimately come to the conclusion that z^3=1.
zcserei

Homework Statement

I've been recapitulating some lessons we learned in high school 2 years ago for the exams I need to take this year. There was this exercise I couldn't solve in a nice way.

z^2005+(1/z^2005) if we know that z^2+z+1=0

Homework Equations

I couldn't came up with a good solution, so I looked at the key at the end of the book, and it said that from z^2+z+1=0 => z^3=1, and then you do z^2005=(z^3)^668+z=1^668+z=1+z

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the root for the equation, and I found that it is (-1±i√3)/2. Now, that complex number definitely isn't 1 on the third power, and I can't take (1+z)+1/(1+z) too far either.
Where did I mess up? Is the key in my book correct?

Thank you for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, they get z^{3} from:
[tex]
z^{2}+z+1=0\Rightarrow z^{3}+z^{2}+z=0\Rightarrow z^{3}-1=0\Rightarrow z^{3}=1
[/tex]
Then
[tex]
z^{2004}=(z^{3})^{668}=1^{668}=1
[/tex]
From here it is clear what to do.

"Now, that complex number definitely isn't 1 on the third power"

Are you sure about that? Check it again.

As a different approach: remember that

[tex]
A^3 -1 = (A-1)(A^2 + A + 1)
[/tex]

so, given [itex] z^2 + z + 1 = 0 [/itex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
z^2 + z + 1 & = 0 \\
\frac{z^3 - 1}{z-1} & = 0 \\
z^3 - 1 & = 0 \\
z^3 & = 1
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I can eliminate the denominator since it is obvious that z is not equal to 1. This gets you to the same statement about z as direct calculation, but without having to work with complex numbers (not that that is a huge problem). Once here, the rest of the solution goes as you note.

What is a complex number equation?

A complex number equation is an equation that involves both real and imaginary numbers. It is usually written in the form of a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Complex number equations are used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

How do you solve a complex number equation?

To solve a complex number equation, you can use the same algebraic rules as you would for solving equations with only real numbers. You can add, subtract, multiply, and divide both sides of the equation by any real or complex number. You can also use the quadratic formula or other methods to solve specific types of complex number equations.

Can a complex number equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex number equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the imaginary part of a complex number can have different values, and each value can result in a different solution. For example, the equation x^2+1 = 0 has two solutions: x = i and x = -i, where i is the imaginary unit.

What is the difference between a real number equation and a complex number equation?

A real number equation only involves numbers that can be found on the number line, while a complex number equation includes both real and imaginary numbers. Real numbers can be written as decimals or fractions, while complex numbers are typically written in the form a+bi. Additionally, solving a complex number equation may result in multiple solutions, while a real number equation usually has only one solution.

What are some common applications of complex number equations?

Complex number equations are used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and wave functions. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. In addition, complex number equations are used to describe and analyze many physical phenomena, such as electrical circuits, electromagnetic fields, and quantum states.