Thinking of Becoming an Actuary, in last year of high school

In summary: I've heard about all the exams and how everything will pay off in the end, but what are the job prospects?The job prospects for actuaries are good, but they vary depending on the area of actuarial science. In general, however, actuaries are in high demand and there is always room for more.
aahs
Hello!

So I am in Canada, and applications for universities are due in a few months. I love music, and i also love math. I recently stumbled on a career path of Actuarial Science and i think it sounds rather cool.

I've heard about all the exams and how everything will pay off in the end, but what are the job prospects? I'm concerned if i pursue an actuarial science degree i won't even get a job. Is there a need for Actuaries in Canada?

Luckily, I'm in Ontario so I'm right by Waterloo which i would want to go to for this degree since it offers co-op.

I'm still just so confused. Can anyone help shed some light on this? I hope it makes some sense what I'm asking.. if not I'm really sorry.

But thank you for any advice you can share!

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I personally know nothing valuable to you, but I found this website which looks like it would be helpful. I tried to go through the steps and find the information directly, but it asks about your location specifically...it looks like it's worth a shot! If it's not helpful at all, I'm completely sorry.

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/content_pieces-eng.do?cid=1&lang=eng

My friend is in the industry and he said its tough if you plan to work specifically in the insurance industry.

Personally, I think studying actuarial sciences would be dumb. Go into computer science and take statistics as a minor. Start your exams immediately after taking a probability course (first or second year).

A friend of mine did most exams before finishing undergrad.

I studied in pure mathematics and saw the material for the first 3. Not really that hard. And for most jobs, passing the first 3 can get you in. Plus since you are taking statistics, you take classes related to the exams... Sampling and Regression Analysis, etc... And then write the exam.

Why someone would study solely Actuarial Sciences is beyond me.

Getting entry level work in Canada is hard right now, and has been for a year or two (maybe more, that's just all I know). Part of the problem is the state of the financial industry, and part is that Canada just produces a surprising number of actuarial students given it's population, so you have both a supply and a demand problem.

I love being an actuary, but I'm afraid it's hard to recommend going into the field in Canada, though that's partly because its not my locale.

By the way, everything you need to know is already posted on the forums at actuarialoutpost.com. Read the stickies.

Norman.Galois said:
Personally, I think studying actuarial sciences would be dumb. Go into computer science and take statistics as a minor. Start your exams immediately after taking a probability course (first or second year).

In the US I would agree. I believe things are a bit different in Canada, partly because some of the university programs have such an excellent relationship with companies that it is more difficult to get in from outside that circle. Of course, some Universities don't, so without this added benefit, I'd say you are absolutely right - get a degree in math or stats instead.

Did your friend get work as an actuary in Canada Norman?

I studied in pure mathematics and saw the material for the first 3. Not really that hard.

Agree, none of the material is super hard. The tests are very hard though, so anyone thinking of taking them needs to take them seriously or they could find themselves paying to take them again. This is less true of the first two (P/1, FM/2), but even those I'd suggest studying hard for if for no other reason than to avoid embarrassment.

And for most jobs, passing the first 3 can get you in.

In the US, yes. It is generally agreed that this is not true of Canada. There are lots of college grads there that have at least 4 tests, and plenty of near ASA's right out of school as well - you have to be competitive with that. In Canada, getting an act sci degree from the right university can help a job seeker. This is much less true in the US. (Edit: To some degree this depends on whether you're counting MLC & MFE as 2 tests or 1 - in any case, a Canadian student needs every bit of help they can get).

Of course there are always outliers. A perfectly reasonable plan would be to major in math, stats or any other mathematical discipline, pass two or three tests, and just apply for actuarial jobs as well as others, on the slim chance you get one. But anyone doing that in Canada needs to have their story straight and be aware of the odds.

Locrian said:
In the US I would agree. I believe things are a bit different in Canada, partly because some of the university programs have such an excellent relationship with companies that it is more difficult to get in from outside that circle. Of course, some Universities don't, so without this added benefit, I'd say you are absolutely right - get a degree in math or stats instead.

Did your friend get work as an actuary in Canada Norman?

Agree, none of the material is super hard. The tests are very hard though, so anyone thinking of taking them needs to take them seriously or they could find themselves paying to take them again. This is less true of the first two (P/1, FM/2), but even those I'd suggest studying hard for if for no other reason than to avoid embarrassment.

In the US, yes. It is generally agreed that this is not true of Canada. There are lots of college grads there that have at least 4 tests, and plenty of near ASA's right out of school as well - you have to be competitive with that. In Canada, getting an act sci degree from the right university can help a job seeker. This is much less true in the US. (Edit: To some degree this depends on whether you're counting MLC & MFE as 2 tests or 1 - in any case, a Canadian student needs every bit of help they can get).

Of course there are always outliers. A perfectly reasonable plan would be to major in math, stats or any other mathematical discipline, pass two or three tests, and just apply for actuarial jobs as well as others, on the slim chance you get one. But anyone doing that in Canada needs to have their story straight and be aware of the odds.

My friends works in Toronto and it's a tough business. And yes, you should study hard for the course for sure!

I'm studying for something similar and that is the CFA Exam and I'm sure I'll fail in December. Having a weak background in finance and registering late. Most of my friends are writing the exam in June. I figured try in December, if I fail, do it again in June. And if I pass, I can continue to the next Level and be ahead.

I strongly recommend Comp. Sci with Math though. That will enable you to do Quantitative Modelling or be a Quantitative Analyst of some kind. Also a good field that is sometimes in line with being an Actuary.

What is an actuary?

An actuary is a business professional who uses statistical and mathematical methods to assess and manage risk for insurance companies, financial institutions, and other organizations. They use their analytical skills to evaluate the likelihood of future events and help companies make strategic decisions.

What qualifications do I need to become an actuary?

To become an actuary, you typically need a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and economics. Most actuaries have at least a bachelor's degree in one of these fields, and many have a master's degree. Additionally, you will need to pass a series of exams to become certified as an actuary.

What skills are important for an actuary?

In addition to strong mathematical and analytical skills, successful actuaries also possess excellent communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They must be able to interpret complex data and communicate their findings in a clear and understandable manner to non-technical stakeholders.

What is the job outlook for actuaries?

The job outlook for actuaries is very positive, with a projected growth rate of 22% from 2016-2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is much faster than the average for all occupations. As businesses and organizations continue to face complex risks, the demand for skilled actuaries will remain high.

What industries do actuaries typically work in?

Actuaries can work in a variety of industries, including insurance, finance, healthcare, and consulting. They may also work in government agencies and non-profit organizations. The specific industry will depend on the individual's interests and career path, as well as the demand for actuaries in that particular field.