Group of order 100 with no element of order 4?

In summary, a group with order 100 and no element of order 4 can be constructed using direct products, such as \mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}. This is possible due to the fact that for every prime divisor p of a group, there exists an element with order p.
kpoltorak
1. Homework Statement [/]
Is there a group G with order 100 such that it has no element of order 4? How would one go about proving the existence of such a group?

2. Homework Equations [/]
For every prime divisor p of a group, there exists an element with order p.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about direct products? If so, you should be able to construct such a group pretty easily.

Yes I do have some knowledge of direct products. Could I construct a group as such: [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]?

kpoltorak said:
Yes I do have some knowledge of direct products. Could I construct a group as such: [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{5}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}\times\mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex]?

That's the one I had in mind.

1. What is a "group of order 100 with no element of order 4"?

A group of order 100 is a mathematical structure consisting of 100 elements that follow specific rules of operation. The phrase "no element of order 4" means that there is no element within the group that, when multiplied by itself 4 times, equals the identity element. In other words, there is no element in the group that has a cyclic subgroup of order 4.

2. Can a group of order 100 have elements of order 4?

No, by definition, a group of order 100 with no element of order 4 cannot have elements of order 4. This is because if there were an element of order 4, it would form a cyclic subgroup of order 4, contradicting the original condition of the group.

3. What is the significance of having no element of order 4 in a group of order 100?

The lack of an element of order 4 in a group of order 100 has significant implications in the structure and properties of the group. It means that the group does not have any cyclic subgroups of order 4, which can affect the group's symmetry and other characteristics.

4. How many elements of order 2 can a group of order 100 with no element of order 4 have?

A group of order 100 with no element of order 4 can have at most 3 elements of order 2. This is because if there were 4 or more elements of order 2, they would form a cyclic subgroup of order 4, which contradicts the original condition of the group.

5. Is a group of order 100 with no element of order 4 a simple group?

No, a group of order 100 with no element of order 4 is not a simple group. A simple group is a group that has no non-trivial normal subgroups, but in this case, the group has a non-trivial normal subgroup of order 2.