Write out the expression for the vertical velocity

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem by taking the derivative of z(t), which yielded v(t)=Avcos(vt).
leonne

Homework Statement

Given z(t) as above, write out the expression for the vertical velocity

Homework Equations

z(t)=Asin(vt)
where z(t) is the vertical position of a test particle, A is the amplitude of its motion,
and t = 0 is the time when the particle is at the midplane

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just take the the derivative right? I am given position so if i take the derivative of position that give velocity. so is the answer v(t)=Avcos(vt)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem with that.

cool thxs o one more thing idk if this matters the formula i was given is general solution for a differential equation. idk if that changes anything or if I need to use the original equation or something

The derivative of z(t)=Asin(vt) is Avcos(vt). Nothing can really change that. Whether that solves the original problem is hard to say until you tell what it is.

In class, we showed that the vertical equation of motion for a uniform density disk is
((d^2z)/dt^2) +v^2 z=0
The solution of this differential equation can be written as
z(t) = A sin(vt)
where z(t) is the vertical position of a test particle, A is the amplitude of its motion,
and t = 0 is the time when the particle is at the midplane (z = 0).
Just seems a little to easy that you just take the derivative, but than again i seem to always over complicate the problems lol, but ill just take it like i said before thxs

I'm not sure exactly what physics the situation is trying to derive, but sure, z(t)=A*sin(vt) solves that differential equation, and if z(t) is the vertical displacement then d(z(t))/dt is the vertical velocity. I'm not sure how you could complicate it.

kk thxs i thought maybe you do something different casue its vertical or somthing

What is the definition of vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity is the rate of change of an object's vertical position with respect to time. It measures how fast an object is moving up or down.

How is the expression for vertical velocity written?

The expression for vertical velocity is written as vy = Δy/Δt, where vy represents the vertical velocity, Δy represents the change in vertical position, and Δt represents the change in time.

What is the SI unit for vertical velocity?

The SI unit for vertical velocity is meters per second (m/s).

How is vertical velocity calculated in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, vertical velocity can be calculated by measuring the change in an object's vertical position over a certain time interval. For example, if an object drops from a height of 10 meters and reaches the ground in 2 seconds, the vertical velocity would be 5 m/s.

What are some factors that can affect vertical velocity?

Some factors that can affect vertical velocity include air resistance, gravity, and the initial speed and direction of the object. Additionally, changes in these factors over time can also impact the vertical velocity of an object.