Random Walk - Expected Time Until Absorption

In summary, we are considering a random walk on the integers from 0 to L, with certain probabilities for transitioning between states. The goal is to determine the expected value of the minimum number of transitions it takes to reach state 0, starting from any state within the range of 0 to L.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Consider the following random walk on the integers:

[tex]\mathbb{S}=\{0, 1, 2, 3, ... , L\}[/tex]

Let Wn = {the state k [tex]\in\mathbb{S}[/tex] you are in after the n'th transition}

[tex]\mathbb{P}[W_{n+1}= k \pm 1 | W_{n} = k] = \frac{1}_{2}[/tex]

[tex]For \ 1\leq k\leq L-1[/tex]

Otherwise:

[tex]\mathbb{P}[W_{n+1}= L | W_{n} = L] = \frac{1}{2} = \mathbb{P}[W_{n+1}= L -1 | W_{n} = L] [/tex]

[tex]\mathbb{P}[W_{n+1}= 0 | W_{n} = 0] = 1[/tex]

i.e. L is retaining, and 0 is absorbing.

Determine:

[tex]\mathbb{E}[T | W_{0}=k] \forall \ k \in \mathbb{S}[/tex]

[tex]Where \ T=min \{n\geq 0 : W_{n}=0 \}[/tex]

Not sure how to proceed...

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The Attempt at a Solution I have tried to consider the expected value of T in the case where k=0,1,2,...L-1, but am not sure how to properly combine these values to yield the solution.

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that models the path of a random variable as it moves through a series of steps or increments. It is used to study the behavior of systems in which random events occur over time.

2. What is the expected time until absorption in a random walk?

The expected time until absorption in a random walk is the average number of steps it takes for a random variable to reach a predetermined state, such as a certain position or value. It is a measure of the time it takes for a random walk to reach an absorbing state.

3. How is the expected time until absorption calculated in a random walk?

The expected time until absorption is calculated by taking the sum of the probabilities of each possible number of steps it takes to reach the absorbing state, multiplied by the number of steps. This can be represented mathematically as ∑(i * P(i)), where i represents the number of steps and P(i) represents the probability of reaching the absorbing state in i steps.

4. What factors can affect the expected time until absorption in a random walk?

The expected time until absorption in a random walk can be affected by various factors, such as the initial position of the random variable, the probability of moving in a certain direction, and the number of possible steps. It can also be influenced by the presence of barriers or boundaries that restrict the movement of the random variable.

5. What is the significance of studying the expected time until absorption in a random walk?

Studying the expected time until absorption in a random walk can provide insights into the behavior and dynamics of complex systems. It can also help in predicting the time it takes for a system to reach a certain state, and in making decisions related to optimization and control of such systems.