Integration of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the integral ∫(1/lnx)-(1/(lnx)^2) dx. The person tried substituting u=lnx but did not make progress. The answer is (x/lnx)+C and differentiation of this gives the original integral, but the reverse is proving difficult. The expert suggests using integration by parts on ∫ 1/(lnx)2 dx by first multiplying top and bottom by x.
kudoushinichi88
How do I start to evaluate this integral?

[tex]\int\frac{1}{\ln x}-\frac{1}{(\ln x)^2} dx[/tex]

I tried subbing [itex]u=\ln x[/itex] but I'm getting no where...

The answer is

[tex]\frac{x}{\ln x}+C[/itex]

If I differentiate the answer, I get the integral easily, but the reverse... I'm having trouble figuring out how do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi kudoushinichi88! :smile:
kudoushinichi88 said:
I tried subbing [itex]u=\ln x[/itex] but I'm getting no where...

your substitution should have presented you with an easy integration by parts

but anyway you can do integration by parts on ∫ 1/(lnx)2 dx

simply by first multiplying top and bottom by x: ∫ x/x(lnx)2 dx :wink:

1. What is the formula for integrating the reciprocal of the natural logarithm?

The formula for integrating the reciprocal of the natural logarithm is ln|x| + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve an integration problem involving the reciprocal of the natural logarithm?

To solve an integration problem involving the reciprocal of the natural logarithm, you can use the formula ln|x| + C and apply the rules of integration, such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the significance of integrating the reciprocal of the natural logarithm?

The integration of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm is useful in solving various mathematical and scientific problems, such as finding the area under a curve or calculating the work done in a thermodynamic process.

4. Can you give an example of a problem involving the integration of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm?

One example is calculating the entropy change in a reversible isothermal expansion process using the ideal gas law, where the integration of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm is needed to solve for the final and initial volumes.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating the reciprocal of the natural logarithm?

Yes, when the limit of integration includes the point x = 0, the integral of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm does not exist. Additionally, the constant of integration can vary depending on the context of the problem.