Partial integration misunderstanding

In summary, the author found that the function: U=U\left(T,V\right) can be simplified to: U=U\left(T,V\right)_p.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm doing some thermodynamics and I didn't quite get one thing:

I have a function: [tex]U=U(T,\ V(T,p))[/tex] and I need to find the expression:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_p[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I found in the book and what Mathematica gave me is:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p[/tex]

But I can't see why that is :\ I tried looking with the formulas for mixed partial derivatives but I must be missing sth out :\

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
dingo_d said:

Homework Statement

I'm doing some thermodynamics and I didn't quite get one thing:

I have a function: [tex]U=U(T,\ V(T,p))[/tex] and I need to find the expression:

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I found in the book and what Mathematica gave me is:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p[/tex]

But I can't see why that is :\ I tried looking with the formulas for mixed partial derivatives but I must be missing sth out :\

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Whilst it isn't important to the question, this isn't partial integration, it is partial differentiation.

It is useful in this case to simplify the problem a little first. Start by treating U as a function of two variables. If

[tex]U = U\left(T,V\right)[/tex] ,

(i.e. ignore the dependence of V on T) can you work out

?

Oh doh! diferentiation! Woops, my bad.

Is it:

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_p\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p
[/tex]?

Ok so I have:[tex]
dU=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_VdT
[/tex]

Now I can diferentiate that with respect to T at constant p:[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V\underbrace{\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial T}\right)_p}_1
[/tex]

Oh! That's it! XD Thnx :D

Last edited:

1. What is partial integration misunderstanding?

Partial integration misunderstanding is a common mistake made when applying integration techniques in mathematics. It refers to the incorrect use or interpretation of the partial integration method, which is used to solve integrals that involve products of functions.

2. How does partial integration misunderstanding occur?

Partial integration misunderstanding can occur when the steps of the partial integration method are not followed correctly or when the concept is not fully understood. It can also arise when the wrong functions are chosen to be the "u" and "dv" terms in the integration by parts formula.

3. What are the consequences of partial integration misunderstanding?

The consequences of partial integration misunderstanding can include incorrect solutions to integrals, leading to incorrect answers in mathematical problems. It can also cause confusion and frustration for students learning integration techniques.

4. How can partial integration misunderstanding be avoided?

To avoid partial integration misunderstanding, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concept and steps of the partial integration method. Practice and familiarity with the method can also help in avoiding mistakes. Checking the final solution with the original integral can also help to catch any errors.

5. Are there any common tips for avoiding partial integration misunderstanding?

Some common tips for avoiding partial integration misunderstanding include carefully choosing the "u" and "dv" terms, paying attention to the signs in the integration by parts formula, and using parentheses when necessary. It is also helpful to double-check the steps and solution to ensure accuracy.