Need a hint proving that integral converges

• Thread starter Tricore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove the finiteness of the integral \int_0^{\pi/4} (\tan x)^{-\alpha} dx for 0 < \alpha < 1, using the Lebesgue measure. The speaker has tried using monotone convergence and finding a larger, integrable function, but has not been successful. They ask for hints and consider the case when \alpha=1. The main difficulty lies in the poles of the integrand at 0 and pi/4, and the suggestion is to study a function with the same poles and compare it to the integrand.
Tricore
I am trying to prove that [tex]\int_0^{\pi/4} (\tan x)^{-\alpha} dx[/tex] is finite for [tex]0 < \alpha < 1[/tex], where the integral denotes the Lebesgue integral with the Lebesgue measure. I've decided wether it converges for all other values of [tex]\alpha\in\mathbb{R}[/tex], but am simply stuck with this one.

I've tried using monotone convergence to integrate over the closed interval from 1/n to pi/4, where I can use the Riemann integral, but I can't figure out how to find an anti-derivative for the function. I've also tried finding a larger, integrable function but without luck.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if [tex]\alpha=1[/tex]. Is that function integrable?

The only difficulty in this problem is the poles that the integrand has at 0 and pi/4, right? So find another function that has the same poles, and study that function, and the difference between it and your integrand.

1. What does it mean for an integral to converge?

When an integral converges, it means that the area under the curve of the function being integrated approaches a finite value as the upper and lower bounds of integration approach infinity.

2. How can I determine if an integral converges?

There are various techniques for determining if an integral converges, including the comparison test, the integral test, and the limit comparison test. These methods involve comparing the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral, or taking the limit of the integrand as the upper bound of integration approaches infinity.

3. Can an integral converge to a negative value?

No, an integral cannot converge to a negative value. Convergence implies that the area under the curve approaches a finite value, and area is always a positive quantity.

4. What are some common types of integrals that converge?

Some common types of integrals that converge include power functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

5. Is it possible for an integral to converge for some values of its parameters but not others?

Yes, it is possible for an integral to converge for certain values of its parameters but not others. This is often the case with improper integrals, where the bounds of integration may approach certain values that cause the integral to diverge.