Solving Anti-Derivatives: The Case of (2 + x^2)/(1 + x^2)

• Thread starter theRukus
  • Start date
In summary, the anti-derivative of (2 + x^2)/(1 + x^2) can be found by first simplifying the expression using polynomial division to get (1 + 1/(1 + x^2)), and then applying the formula for the anti-derivative of 1/(1 + x^2) to get 2tan^-1(x) + x + C.
theRukus

Homework Statement

Find the anti-derivative of (2 + x^2)/(1 + x^2)

Homework Equations

f(x) = tan^-1(x)
f'(x) 1/(1 + x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(2 + x^2) / (1 + x^2)

= ( 2 / (1 + x^2) ) + ( x^2 / (1 + x^2) )

The anti-derivative of (2 / (1 + x^2) ) is 2tan^-1(x). I don't know how to go about taking the anti-derivative of (x^2 / (1 + x^2) ). Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should do polynomial division on (2+x^2)/(1+x^2) before you start integrating. It would help if you can show that's 1+1/(1+x^2), yes?

1. What is a simple anti-derivative?

A simple anti-derivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a mathematical function that, when differentiated, results in the original function.

2. How do I find the simple anti-derivative of a function?

To find the simple anti-derivative of a function, you need to use a set of rules and formulas known as integration techniques. These include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and others.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral has no limits. The result of a definite integral is a number, while the result of an indefinite integral is a function with a constant of integration.

4. Can any function have a simple anti-derivative?

Not all functions have a simple anti-derivative. Some functions, such as trigonometric functions and exponential functions, have specific integration rules that need to be applied to find their anti-derivatives.

5. Why is understanding simple anti-derivatives important?

Understanding simple anti-derivatives is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, areas under curves, and other important concepts in mathematics and science.