Identifying an Unknown Compound: Can You Help Solve this NMR Puzzle?

• Thread starter Horseb0x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr
In summary, the unknown chemical in the lab is a carboxylic acid with a melting point of 133-135 degrees Celsius. The only compound that fits the criteria is cinnamic acid, but the NMR does not match. The NMR is incompatible because the aromatic protons have exchanged with water. There are 2 singlets so already it can't be cinnamic acid can it? Why do you feel the NMR is incompatible? The NMRs could both be of the cis product or trans but one question is why would our sample be yellow brown and not white since online says cinnamic acid is white. If it was saturated with water it would have should up on
Horseb0x
[PLAIN]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/362/nmrs.jpg
I had to identify an unknown in the lab and it was a UV active acid with a melting point of 133C-135C. Sodium fusion test revealed no heteroatoms so the only compound that fits the criteria is cinnamic acid but although the IR matches that of cinnamic acid, the NMR doesn't. Also cinnamic acid is white, this stuff was orangy brown. I never took an actual NMR though, that's just the NMR they gave us to go with the compound so maybe they made a mistake. Any idea what compound this NMR is for? There are 2 singlets so already it can't be cinnamic acid can it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why do you feel the NMR is incompatible?
How many NMRs have you seen? Sometimes the aromatic protons accidentally resonate at about the same ppm, so it looks like you have singlets when they're not really. If you compare them to the doublets, they don't look that sharp to me.

(is this the complete scan, or is there more information on the sheet)?

Yeah that's a complete scan. Heres an NMR for trans-cinnamic acid:
[PLAIN]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7272/imgcgi.gif
from http://riodb01.ibase.aist.go.jp
Actually yeah they do match don't they. Only difference is magnitude of the peak at 12.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be the cis, yes, alternatively your NMR and the Japanese one may be in different solvents - I don't see the acidic proton in the latter, either.

Those acidic protons can disappear or broaden so much they look like a baseline. Looks like something there between 10.5 and 11.7... very broad. What do you know about dimers of carboxylic acids in NMR? Solvent effects?

The NMRs could both be of the cis product or trans but one question is why would our sample be yellow brown and not white since online says cinnamic acid is white. If it was saturated with water it would have should up on the IR so what could be added that would turn it that colour and add a singlet to the NMR. (same lab as Horseb0x)

The solvent effects going on in the NMR tube are not the same effects you see in IR, right? Was the IR determined using a solution in a deuterated solvent? Probably not.

Colored impurities can be easily seen but not easily discerned with IR or NMR if they don't make up a sizeable fraction of the whole. Color is the last thing you should use to identify something unless you are absolutely sure as to it's purity.

Why do you think the protons have exchanged with water? Extreme broadening happens in pure solvents as well. Think about dimers and how that might affect the acidic proton's signal.

See me and Horseb0x done the IR ourselfs in the lab so the IR is of our actual sample. What happened is we received a pure (they told us its pure ) sample of an unknown chemical. We had to test to see what it was. We found through the tests that its a carboxylic acid and the only one with the melting range we got was cinnamic acid. I am happy with the IR and NMR just not happy with the colour due to the fact they said its pure and the melting range was bang on the expected one for that compound. So what I am wondering is, is there anything that is aromatic with a melting range of 132-134 and is a carboxylic acid that has the colour described by HorsebOx or should we just go with the cinnamic acid compound? Thanks for all your help :) really appreciated

Like I said, color is the last thing you should rely on. A small (<1%) impurity can cause color. 99% pure is pure enough to be labelled 'pure'. The 1% colored impurity can easily give you a colored product. You won't see that colored product by IR, NMR either.

Relax.

You didin't gave us the values of chemical shifts. Try to calculate the coupling constants for two doublets available. In cinnamoyl acid the coupling should be ca. 13-18Hz. See: http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/nmrtheory/splitting.html

1. What is NMR?

NMR stands for nuclear magnetic resonance and is a scientific technique used to analyze the chemical and physical properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How does NMR work?

NMR works by placing a sample in a strong magnetic field and exposing it to radio waves. The atoms in the sample absorb and emit energy, which is then measured and used to create a spectrum.

3. What type of information can be obtained from an NMR spectrum?

An NMR spectrum can provide information about the types and number of atoms present in a molecule, the structure of the molecule, and the chemical environment of the atoms.

4. What are some common applications of NMR?

NMR is commonly used in chemistry, biochemistry, and medicine for structural analysis, identifying unknown compounds, and studying protein structures and interactions.

5. Can NMR be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, NMR can be used for quantitative analysis by measuring the intensity of the peaks in a spectrum, which is directly proportional to the amount of a particular molecule present in the sample.