Time reversal symmetry breaking

In summary, you are saying that in order to determine if a system has time reversal symmetry, we need to construct the time reversal operator (T). If the commutator of the Hamiltonian and the time reversal operator vanish, then the system has time reversal symmetry.
hbaromega
We know velocity/momentum and magnetic field both are odd to time-reversal operation. Then how is the time-reversal symmetry broken in quantum Hall effect since magnetic field is always coupled with velocity/momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
In quantum mechanics, the effect of magnetic field is included by using the vector potential (A). This is done by replacing the momentum operator p by (p-eA/c). Now both p and A are odd under time reversal.

It's not the force which determines whether the system is time reversal invariant or not.

hbaromega said:
We know velocity/momentum and magnetic field both are odd to time-reversal operation. Then how is the time-reversal symmetry broken in quantum Hall effect since magnetic field is always coupled with velocity/momentum?

You are right indeed, but here, the B field is usually considered 'external'.
With the direction of the 'external' B field fixed, the system certainly breaks time-reversal.

stone said:
In quantum mechanics, the effect of magnetic field is included by using the vector potential (A). This is done by replacing the momentum operator p by (p-eA/c). Now both p and A are odd under time reversal.

It's not the force which determines whether the system is time reversal invariant or not.

I though it should be equivalent. When symmetry is held, the laws would be the same after symmetry operation. Both in Hamiltonian or the force.

Even if I consider the Hamiltonian, doesn't it come like

H=(p-eA/c)^2 ?

Now when we apply T-reversal operator p and A both change sign. Then overall Hamiltonian remain invariant. Then how do we get T-reversal symmetry breaking in quantum Hall effect after applying magnetic field?

weejee said:
You are right indeed, but here, the B field is usually considered 'external'.
With the direction of the 'external' B field fixed, the system certainly breaks time-reversal.

Sorry didn't get what you meant by 'external'. Doesn't it become a part of the Hamiltonian? In Landau level we indeed solve the Hamiltonian

H=(p-eA/c)^2/2m

* Sorry ! I missed the 2m term in earlier post.

Okay..sorry I was a bit sloppy in the last post!
To determine if a system has time reversal symmetry, what should we do?
We must construct the time reversal operator (T). For fermions (as in this case) this would be exp(i*pi*Sy).
Where Sy is the pauli matrix. Now if the commutator of Hamiltonian H and T vanishes, then we can conclude that the system has time reversal symmetry. Not otherwise!
Now for this (QHE) case let us choose the Landau gauge A=(By,0,0) and thus the magnetic field is constant and in the z direction.
If you calculate the commutator you will realize that it is non zero. And hence time reversal symmetry is broken in this system.

Another way to argue this is to use what are called the Chern numbers, which in this case are the quantized values of conductivity. I suggest that you go through this paper:
Mahito Kohmoto, Topological invariant and the quantization of the Hall conductance
Annals of Physics
Volume 160, Issue 2, 1 April 1985, Pages 343-354

hbaromega said:
Sorry didn't get what you meant by 'external'. Doesn't it become a part of the Hamiltonian? In Landau level we indeed solve the Hamiltonian

H=(p-eA/c)^2/2m
* Sorry ! I missed the 2m term in earlier post.

That means, when you perform the time reversal, you don't change the direction of the magnetic field (or equivalently, A).

Suppose you are measuring the Hall conductivity of a sample. If you just look at the sample, its behavior breaks the time-reversal symmetry. (B field is a fixed quantity here.) However, if you take the sample plus the magnet as your system, it preserves the time-reversal symmetry as a whole.

stone said:
Okay..sorry I was a bit sloppy in the last post!
To determine if a system has time reversal symmetry, what should we do?
We must construct the time reversal operator (T). For fermions (as in this case) this would be exp(i*pi*Sy).
Where Sy is the pauli matrix. Now if the commutator of Hamiltonian H and T vanishes, then we can conclude that the system has time reversal symmetry. Not otherwise!
Now for this (QHE) case let us choose the Landau gauge A=(By,0,0) and thus the magnetic field is constant and in the z direction.
If you calculate the commutator you will realize that it is non zero. And hence time reversal symmetry is broken in this system.

Another way to argue this is to use what are called the Chern numbers, which in this case are the quantized values of conductivity. I suggest that you go through this paper:
Mahito Kohmoto, Topological invariant and the quantization of the Hall conductance
Annals of Physics
Volume 160, Issue 2, 1 April 1985, Pages 343-354

I think, there should be an extra conjugation operator as well (as K in Sakurai's Mod. Q. M. Chapter 4). But still I'm not clear how to operate to show whether TR symm. broken. I can only understand that it can change up-spin ket to a down-spin ket.

Thanks for the reference. I looked at the paper though need to spend time fully understand. But I think, he is one of the proposers of TKNN invariant in QHE. I roughly understand the topology argument which connected to Berry phase that appears due to periodicity of the Bloch wave function.

Actually my question arises due to topological insulator context. People say that TR symmetry is broken in QHE, where spin degeneracy is maintained, but TR is symm. is preserved in QSHE where spin degeneracy is lifted due to strong spin orbit coupling.

Now spin orbit coupling looks like S.L .Since S and L both are odd to TR, together they become invariant.

However, how can I show that this cannot happen to Ferromagnet or QHE where we expect similar interaction term in the Hamiltonian?

Sound pretty confusing to me!

weejee said:
That means, when you perform the time reversal, you don't change the direction of the magnetic field (or equivalently, A).

Suppose you are measuring the Hall conductivity of a sample. If you just look at the sample, its behavior breaks the time-reversal symmetry. (B field is a fixed quantity here.) However, if you take the sample plus the magnet as your system, it preserves the time-reversal symmetry as a whole.

So you mean in the process of T-reversal I'm not looking at the magnetic field ! So is it like what happens if I put a magnetic field in the same direction when the system is under T-reversal ?

1. What is time reversal symmetry breaking?

Time reversal symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where the laws of physics appear to behave differently when time is reversed. This means that certain physical processes, such as the direction of heat flow or the rotation of a spinning object, can only occur in one direction in time, rather than being able to occur in both the forward and backward directions.

2. How does time reversal symmetry breaking occur?

Time reversal symmetry breaking occurs when a system is not in equilibrium or when there is an external influence, such as an external force or a temperature gradient, acting on the system. These factors cause the system to evolve in a specific direction in time, breaking the symmetry that would otherwise allow for the same processes to occur in both directions.

3. What is the significance of time reversal symmetry breaking?

Time reversal symmetry breaking has significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physics and the behavior of matter and energy. It helps explain why certain physical laws appear to only work in one direction in time, and it also plays a role in understanding the behavior of systems at the micro and macro scales.

4. Can time reversal symmetry breaking be observed in real life?

Yes, time reversal symmetry breaking has been observed in various experiments and natural phenomena. One example is the weak nuclear force, which only operates in one direction in time, breaking the time reversal symmetry. Other examples include the directional flow of heat and the chirality of molecules.

5. How does time reversal symmetry breaking relate to the concept of entropy?

Time reversal symmetry breaking is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As time reversal symmetry breaking causes systems to evolve in a specific direction in time, it also leads to an increase in entropy. This is because the system becomes more disordered as it moves away from its original state, in which time reversal symmetry was not broken.