The Doppler Effect For EM Waves

In summary, the star is moving away from Earth at a speed of 2.4 x 10^8 m/s and emits light with a wavelength of 480 nm. The frequency observed by an Earth observer can be calculated using the formula fo=fs(1 - vrel/c). However, this formula is not applicable for light and a different formula for the relativistic Doppler shift must be used. The correct answer for the wavelength as measured by an Earth observer is 1440 nm.
sona1177

Homework Statement

A star is moving away from Earth at a speed of 2.4 x 10^8 m/s. Light of wavelength 480 nm is emitted by the star. What is the wavelength as measured by an Earth observer?

Homework Equations

fo=fs(1 - vrel/c)

I substracted because they the star is moving away from the earth

fo=frequency observed
fs=frequency of source

I know that c/lambda for wavelength of light = (3.0 x 10^8)/(480 x 10^-9)=6.25 x 10^14

So frequency of observor on Earth = (6.25 x 10^14) (1 - (2.8 x 10^8)/(3.0 x 10^8))

Frequency of source = 4.17 x 10^13

Therefore, velocity of source/frequency of source = wavelength observered = (3.0 x 10^8/4.17 x 10^13)= 7.2 x 10^-6 m

This is wrong the answer is supposed to be 1440 nm. what have i done wrong? thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not using the correct formula for the relativistic Doppler shift, which you need to use since you're dealing with light.

vela said:
You're not using the correct formula for the relativistic Doppler shift, which you need to use since you're dealing with light.

Thanks, I just realize that I can't use the formula I was using since the speed of the star and light are very close. I have to use the longer version. Could you please take a look at my question about antennas? I am very confused . . . and I have an exam today. thanks!

1. What is the Doppler Effect for EM waves?

The Doppler Effect for electromagnetic (EM) waves is a phenomenon where the frequency and wavelength of EM waves appear to change when the source of the waves is moving relative to the observer. This effect is similar to the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by.

2. How does the Doppler Effect for EM waves work?

The Doppler Effect for EM waves works due to the relative motion between the source of the EM waves, such as a moving star, and the observer on Earth. When the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of the EM waves appears shorter and the frequency appears higher. Similarly, when the source is moving away from the observer, the wavelength appears longer and the frequency appears lower.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Doppler Effect for EM waves?

The Doppler Effect for EM waves is used in various fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and radar technology. In astronomy, it is used to measure the speed and direction of stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of weather systems. In radar technology, it is used to measure the speed and location of moving objects, such as airplanes and cars.

4. How is the Doppler Effect for EM waves different from the Doppler Effect for sound waves?

The Doppler Effect for EM waves and sound waves are similar in that they both describe the change in frequency and wavelength due to relative motion between the source and observer. However, the main difference is that sound waves require a medium, such as air, to travel through, while EM waves can travel through a vacuum, such as space. Additionally, the speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light, so the Doppler Effect for sound waves is more noticeable in everyday situations.

5. How does the Doppler Effect for EM waves support the theory of the expanding universe?

The Doppler Effect for EM waves is one of the pieces of evidence that supports the theory of the expanding universe. This effect is observed in the light from distant galaxies, which appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This redshift is interpreted as the galaxies moving away from us, indicating that the universe is expanding.