Solving equation containing absolute values

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving an equation with absolute value expressions. The speaker explains their method of replacing the absolute value signs with parentheses and solving for the two possible solutions. They also mention the importance of considering different cases based on the positivity or negativity of the expressions. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their understanding and thanking the other person for their help.
jkristia

Homework Statement

I have this equation

|2x+7| - |6-3x| = 8.

The step I did is to replace the || with () and then solve the equation
2x+7-6+3x = 8
X = 7/5

But how do a go about solving for the second solution?
With one absolute value I would
|2x + 7| = 8
2x + 7 = +-8
2x = -7 +-8
X = -15/2, x = ½

But I can’t see how to solve the first equation for the second solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this type of problem is to take 3 cases.

Firstly, you need to find at which x value each absolute value is positive or negative. 2x+7>0, then x>-7/2, thus for x>-7/2 that expression is positive and for x<-7/2 that expression is negative.
6-3x>0, x<2, thus for x<2 it is positive, and x>2 it is negative.

Now the first case you should consider is for all x values such that both expressions are positive.
The next case should be for x values where one is positive and the other is negative.
The last case should be when both are negative.

As an example, if we have to solve |x|+|x-1|=2, for x>1 both are positive, so we simply solve x+(x-1)=2, for 0<x<1 we have the first being positive and the second being negative, thus we solve x-(x-1)=2 and for x<0 both are negative so we solve -x-(x-1)=2.

Just apply the same idea to your question.

p.s. remember that since we assumed x<0 for the last case, the solution needs to be less than zero, else it is an invalid solution and you just discard it.

I think I got it, thank you for your help.

1. How do I solve an equation containing absolute values?

To solve an equation containing absolute values, isolate the absolute value expression and then consider two cases: when the expression within the absolute value is positive and when it is negative. Solve for both cases to find the possible solutions.

2. Can I use the same method to solve all equations with absolute values?

Yes, the method for solving equations with absolute values is the same for all types of equations, including linear, quadratic, and exponential equations.

3. What if the equation has more than one absolute value expression?

If the equation has multiple absolute value expressions, isolate each one and consider all possible combinations of positive and negative values for each expression. Then, solve for all possible solutions.

4. Can I check my solutions for an absolute value equation?

Yes, you can always plug your solutions back into the original equation to check if they satisfy the equation.

5. Are there any special cases when solving equations with absolute values?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving equations with absolute values. For example, when the absolute value expression equals a negative number, there are no solutions. Also, if the absolute value expression equals zero, there is only one solution.