Convergence of a geometric series; rewriting a series in the form ar^(n-1)

In summary, to determine if a geometric series is convergent or divergent, we need to rearrange the series to reflect ar^n-1 and then check if |r| is less than 1. If it is convergent, the sum can be found using a/(1-r). In this specific example, the series is convergent with a sum of 1/7.
lilypetals

Homework Statement

Determine whether the geometric series is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its sum.
[tex]\sum[/tex]n=1infinity (-3)n-1/4n

Homework Equations

A geometric series, [tex]\sum[/tex]n=1infinity arn-1=a + ar + ar2 + ... is convergent if |r|< 1 and its sum is [tex]\sum[/tex]n=1infinity arn-1 = a/(1-r), |r| < 1. If |r| [tex]\geq[/tex] to 1, the geometric series is divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to rearrange the series to reflect arn-1, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I just found a (surprisingly) helpful hint in the small-print margin of my textbook: we write out the first few terms to determine a and r of the series.

a1=1/4
a2=-3/16
a3=9/64

So the series becomes 1/4(-3/4)n-1, which is convergent, because r=-3/4, which is less than 1.

And its sum is equal to a/(1-r) = (1/4)/(1--3/4) = (1/4) * (4/7) = 1/7.

Is this correct?

Sure, that's right.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. The general form of a geometric series is ar^(n-1), where a is the initial term and r is the common ratio.

2. What is convergence in a geometric series?

Convergence in a geometric series refers to the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases. If the common ratio (r) is less than 1, the series will converge to a specific value as the number of terms approaches infinity. If r is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge and not have a specific value.

3. How do you determine if a geometric series converges or diverges?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio (|r|) is less than 1. This means that as the number of terms increases, the series approaches a specific value. If |r| is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge and not have a specific value.

4. What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the initial term, and r is the common ratio. This formula is valid only if |r| is less than 1, indicating that the series converges.

5. How do you rewrite a series in the form ar^(n-1)?

To rewrite a series in the form ar^(n-1), you need to identify the initial term a and the common ratio r. Then, you can use the formula a / (1 - r) to find the sum of the series. If the series does not converge, it cannot be rewritten in this form.