Log Fume Acceleration, Velocity, and change in mass

In summary, the conversation is about a high school physics assignment regarding a log flume ride and the acceleration and velocity of a boat going down a slope. The first question asks for the acceleration, which is found using the formula f=ma. The second question asks for the velocity, which is found using the formula a=change in V/t. However, the calculated velocity does not match the given answer, and the third question discusses whether a change in mass would affect the acceleration and velocity, which is usually constant due to gravity. The person is seeking clarification and help on their calculations.
spoogiest
Currently working on a high school physics assignment.
I need help on some questions, just so that I know I am in the right direction. I am not here to get you guys to do my homework for me. But anyway, the following questions are about a log fume ride, and the acceleration and velocity of a boat going down a slope.

Homework Statement

1. The first question asks to work out the acceleration. (Force = 2450N, Mass = 500KG)
2. The second question asks for the velocity. (Time for the boat to reach bottom = 2.96s)
3. The third question asks if a change of mass would affect the acceleration and velocity.

Homework Equations

f=ma
a=change in V/t

The Attempt at a Solution

1. For question 1, I simply used the f=ma equation, finding a. a=f/m, a=2450/500, a=4.9m/s forwards. I assume this is correct.
2. The second question, I used the acceleration formula to work out the change in velocity. change in velocity = 4.9 x 2.6, therefore velocity = 14.504m/s or 52.214km/h. However the real answer is given, being 58km/h. Is there any reason why I am quite a bit off? or am I using the wrong equation.
3. For the third question, I know physics says that everything falls at the same rate no matter what the mass, but after doing a few sample calculations changing the mass around in each case, the acceleration and velocity for each are always different. Am I going wrong anywhere?

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention, there is no friction, and the ride falls with gravity.

Thanks

1. What is log fume acceleration?

Log fume acceleration refers to the rate at which the log fume, or the log-shaped object, is increasing in speed. It is a measure of how quickly the log fume is gaining velocity.

2. How is log fume velocity calculated?

Log fume velocity is typically calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This formula can be applied to any point in time during the log fume's movement to determine its velocity.

3. How does the change in mass affect log fume acceleration?

The change in mass can affect log fume acceleration in a few different ways. If the mass of the log fume is increased, it will require more force to accelerate it, resulting in a slower acceleration. On the other hand, if the mass is decreased, the log fume will accelerate more quickly due to the decrease in force needed.

4. What factors can impact log fume acceleration?

There are several factors that can impact log fume acceleration, including the force applied to the log fume, its mass, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. The angle at which the log fume is released and the surface it is sliding on can also affect its acceleration.

5. How is log fume acceleration measured?

Log fume acceleration can be measured using various techniques such as video analysis, motion sensors, and force sensors. These methods allow for the collection of data on the log fume's movement, which can then be used to calculate its acceleration at different points in time.