Expressed in terms of the constants

In summary, the question asks for the height of the lowest point of a hanging cable, expressed in terms of the constants P, g, and H in the given equation. The answer is H/Pg, as cosh(0) = 1 and x = 0 represents the lowest point.
julz127

Homework Statement

"Expressed in terms of the constants in this model, how high is the lowest point of the cable?
(Assume the correct dimension to be in metres)"

Homework Equations

Equation for the shape of a hanging cable.
[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8672/eqn6142.png

edit: P, g & H are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

The lowest point is of course at x = 0.
I'm confused by "Expressed in terms of the constants in this model"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the question asks not where the cable is its lowest, but what is height of its lowest point.

Yeah so y(0) is the height of the lowest point?
In the OP is said the lowest point is at x = 0, I'm Having trouble understanding the wording of the question.

I think the answer is Height = H/Pg, since cosh(0) = 1. But I'm not sure if that's "In terms of the constants"

ya, that is right

1. What does "expressed in terms of the constants" mean?

When a value is expressed in terms of constants, it means that the value is written using mathematical constants (such as pi or e) instead of numerical values. This allows for a more general and precise representation of the value.

2. Why is it important to express values in terms of constants?

Expressing values in terms of constants allows for a more universal and precise understanding of the value. It also helps to avoid the use of specific numerical values, which may change depending on the unit system being used.

3. Can all values be expressed in terms of constants?

No, not all values can be expressed in terms of constants. Some values, such as irrational numbers like pi or square roots of non-perfect squares, cannot be expressed as a finite combination of constants.

4. How can I express a value in terms of constants?

To express a value in terms of constants, you can use algebraic manipulation to rewrite the value using mathematical constants. For example, you can express the area of a circle in terms of pi by using the formula A=πr^2 instead of using a specific numerical value for pi.

5. Are there any benefits to using constants in scientific calculations?

Yes, there are multiple benefits to using constants in scientific calculations. Using constants allows for more precise and accurate calculations, as well as making it easier to compare results from different experiments. Additionally, it makes it easier to communicate and replicate results among scientists using different unit systems.