PDEs and Fourier transforms - is this problem too difficult?

In summary, the speaker has difficulty with the homework for a 12-week third-year University course on PDEs, believing it to be too difficult for the level of the course. They ask for help with specific problems, and receive advice and explanations on how to approach them, including using the Gaussian approximation to the delta function. The speaker plans to consult textbooks for further understanding.
joriarty
I have an unusual question, though hopefully someone here can answer it. Apologies if this belongs in the homework forums, not really sure where to put it, as I'm not asking for help with the problems here. I'm currently in the second half of a 12-week third-year University course on PDEs. I have a new lecturer for this half of the course and I think that the homework he is setting is far too difficult for this level of course. Do you think it's too much to expect someone who has only studied PDEs for 8 weeks (at 3 contact hours per week) to be able to solve these questions? (attached)

We have only moved on to non-homogeneous problems two weeks ago and since then I have become almost totally lost :(

Thanks!

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
The questions you posted seem to be of appropriate difficulty for a third year course. They all seem relatively straightforward, once you've figured out what the problem wants. You probably have the skill to solve all these problems, the trick is perhaps figuring out what the problem wants and what to do to solve them. Perhaps you should be specific as to what difficulties you are having with them.

For the first one, for example, I would be surprised if you were expected to actually figure out [itex]\alpha[/itex] from first principles rigorously. I would think you're just supposed to recognize it as a bell curve, so you need a factor of [itex]\sqrt{\beta/\pi}[/itex] to normalize it.

The rest of the questions use the idea that the dirac delta function can be thought of as the limit of a sharply peaked function that gets sharper and sharper as a parameter (beta in this case) tends to infinity (or zero depending on the parameter). Has the professor discussed this in class?

Voila, that bell curve normalisation works! Obvious answer once I read the Wikipedia article on the Gaussian integral (which I had long since forgotten if I had ever learned about it before)

He hasn't talked much about the dirac delta function in class (partly why me and my mates are having such difficulty), though if the problems do seem an appropriate level I think I just need to go and live in the library for a few days with a textbook or two.

Thanks for your help :)

For a quick read, see the representations of the delta function section in the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascent_delta_function#Representations_of_the_delta_function

The basic idea of the problem set is that you're using the Gaussian to approximate the delta function. The problem set is trying to get you to show that using the gaussian approximation you can get the usual defined properties of the delta function. The calculations themselves mostly just involve doing some integrals.

I understand the frustration and confusion that can come with tackling complex problems in a short amount of time. PDEs and Fourier transforms are indeed challenging topics, and it is not uncommon for students to struggle with them. However, it is important to remember that these concepts are fundamental to many areas of science and engineering, and developing a strong understanding of them is crucial for future success in these fields.

That being said, it is also important for educators to strike a balance between challenging students and overwhelming them. As a student, it is important to communicate your concerns with your lecturer and seek additional resources or support if needed. As a lecturer, it is important to carefully consider the level and pace at which material is presented to students, and provide appropriate support and resources to help them succeed.

In terms of the specific homework questions you mentioned, it is difficult for me to assess their level of difficulty without seeing them. However, I would suggest discussing your concerns with your lecturer and seeking additional help or resources if needed. It is also important to remember that struggling with a topic is a normal part of the learning process, and with persistence and practice, you can overcome these challenges and develop a strong understanding of PDEs and Fourier transforms.

1. What are PDEs and Fourier transforms?

PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are commonly used to model physical phenomena in areas such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Fourier transforms, on the other hand, are mathematical operations that decompose a function into its sinusoidal components. They are widely used in signal processing and data analysis.

2. How are PDEs and Fourier transforms related?

PDEs can be solved using various techniques, one of which is the Fourier transform. By applying the Fourier transform to both sides of a PDE, the equation can be transformed into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. In this way, Fourier transforms can be a powerful tool in solving complex PDEs.

3. Is it difficult to understand PDEs and Fourier transforms?

These concepts can be challenging to grasp at first, but with patience and practice, they can be understood. It is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations, to understand PDEs and Fourier transforms fully. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts and studying various examples can also aid in understanding these concepts.

4. What are some real-life applications of PDEs and Fourier transforms?

PDEs and Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. In signal processing, Fourier transforms are used to analyze and filter signals in audio and image processing applications.

5. Are there any resources available to learn more about PDEs and Fourier transforms?

Yes, there are various textbooks, online courses, and tutorials available to learn more about PDEs and Fourier transforms. Some recommended resources include "Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence C. Evans and "Fourier Analysis" by T.W. Körner. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free lectures and exercises on these topics.