I want to buy two Quantum Mechanics books, what would be the best combination ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of buying quantum mechanics books. The participants discuss various options, including books by David Bohm, Albert Messiah, R Shankar, J J Sakurai, Nouredine Zettili, Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, Frank Laloe, and Leslie Ballentine. They also mention potential issues with different books and offer their opinions on the best combination of books for a physics student to have on their shelf. Overall, there is a general consensus that books by Messiah and Cohen-Tannoudji are encyclopedic and good for references, while books by Griffiths, Sakurai, and Ballentine are good for beginners. There is also a brief discussion about the
yicong2011
Hi,

I want to buy two Quantum Mechanics books, but I am pondering what would be the best combination. My definition of BEST is resourceful, lucid, in-detail. As a physics student, I think two quantum mechanics books putting on my shelf is quite enough...

My List:

David Bohm, Quantum Theory
Albert Messiah, Quantum Mechanics
R Shankar, Principle of Quantum Mechanics
J J Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics
Nouredine Zettili, Quantum Mechanics (Concepts and Application)
Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu and Frank Laloe, Quantum Mechanics

Or you have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you just started learning QM, Griffiths then Sakurai is a good choice. Messiah and Cohen are quite encyclopedic, good for references.

Landau Lifgarbagez vol 3 and 4

kof9595995 said:
if you just started learning QM, Griffiths then Sakurai is a good choice. Messiah and Cohen are quite encyclopedic, good for references.

Actually, I have learned Quantum Mechanics...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Either one of Albert Messiah's or Cohen-Tannoudji for extended reference on many topics + the 2 volumes of Galindo & Pascual (a mathematically rigorous approach to key topics not discussed in many <famous> references) to is the optimal combination in my view.

EDIT: If 2 is the number, then you may replace the 2 old encyclopedias (M or C-T) with Leslie Ballentine's book which has some interesting comments on <hot> topics, most of them interpretation-related. M an C-T adopt the traditional Copenhagian view of Bohr, Born, Dirac & von Neumann.

Last edited:
Likes Kashmir
If you already know QM but you want to enrich your knowledge with a more modern view, I recommend
L. E. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development

Last edited:
I vote for Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, and Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics: A modern Development.

Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Dirac.

If you're buying, Cohen-Tannoudji just seems way overpriced to me.

Shankar is very good at including the details you need for self study.

Suggestion:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This book has a rich appendix of ~ 220pages, which covers a wide range of topics (e.g. classical mechanics, group theory, full quantization of EM field, CP violation... ),, similar to Cohen's book supplements (I hate the way Cohen's is structured).As for the content, basically its currently my favorite English book on Quantum Theory/Mechanics and topics are well explained.
I have Zettili too, but I found Zettili good for the first few chapters (till addition of Angular momenta), but it doesn't explain properly many important concepts and fails miserably at the time dependent perturbation theory.

The end of chapter problem sets solutions are on the author's web page and on the accompanying CD. The problem sets are divided into two categories, analytical and numerical.

Also, the printing quality of the paper back edition is good and still holds after extensive use, unlike Zettili's paperback edition where the spine got damaged due to extensive use and pages are almost falling out.

The only topic that Konishi & Paffuti's fall short at is Relativistic Quantum Mechanics which is introduced very briefly.

Last edited:
physiker_192 said:
Suggestion:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This book has a rich appendix of ~ 220pages, which covers a wide range of topics (e.g. classical mechanics, group theory, full quantization of EM field, CP violation... ),, similar to Cohen's book supplements (I hate the way Cohen's is structured).

As for the content, basically its currently my favorite English book on Quantum Theory/Mechanics and topics are well explained.
I have Zettili too, but I found Zettili good for the first few chapters (till addition of Angular momenta), but it doesn't explain properly many important concepts and fails miserably at the time dependent perturbation theory.

The end of chapter problem sets solutions are on the author's web page and on the accompanying CD. The problem sets are divided into two categories, analytical and numerical.

Also, the printing quality of the paper back edition is good and still holds after extensive use, unlike Zettili's paperback edition where the spine got damaged due to extensive use and pages are almost falling out.

The only topic that Konishi & Paffuti's fall short at is Relativistic Quantum Mechanics which is introduced very briefly.

How does this book tackle with the Special Functions (Bessel Function, Neuman Function, Associated Legendre Function) and Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue Problem? I always confused at those two aspects when solving Schroedinger Equation in certain potential field. (I highly rely on the computer code, not good at paper work on solving Schroedinger Equation) I wish it may have a good explanation on those issues.

physiker_192 said:
[...]

I never heard of this book until now (it's probably very new). Judging by the TOC on amazon.com, it looks very promising. A lot of good things. Nice find. :approve:

As for your comment, there's no such thing as a <Relativistic Quantum Mechanics> (*), but only <Quantum Field Theory>.

(*) Actually, the probabilistic interpretation for a <relativistic quantum mechanics> fails miserably, however, a very good approximation of the energy spectrum of hydrogen atom & hydrogenoid ions can be obtained with a <classical> Dirac equation. More on this topic in Weinberg, vol.1.

So your concern contains no issue.

My two (as a non-physicist) would be Shankar, and Aharovov and Rohrlich.

dextercioby said:
As for your comment, there's no such thing as a <Relativistic Quantum Mechanics> (*), but only <Quantum Field Theory>.

Why do you say this?

yicong2011 said:
Hi,
As a physics student, I think two quantum mechanics books putting on my shelf is quite enough...
It is not enough if it doesn't include Dirac.

clem said:
It is not enough if it doesn't include Dirac.

It's a classic, but I don't know that it's all that essential.

I think Bohm is one level under Griffiths or right at the level of Griffiths. So if you know QM at the level of Griffiths, you can cross this one off your list.

What is the best combination of Quantum Mechanics books to buy?

The best combination of Quantum Mechanics books to buy depends on your level of understanding and what you want to learn. Some popular combinations include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, or "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine.

Should I buy two books written by the same author or different authors?

It is recommended to buy books written by different authors as they may offer different perspectives and explanations on the same topic. This can help improve your understanding of the subject.

What factors should I consider when choosing two Quantum Mechanics books to buy?

Some factors to consider when choosing two Quantum Mechanics books to buy include the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the topics covered, and the level of mathematical rigor. It is important to find a balance between books that challenge you and ones that you can easily follow.

Can I buy two Quantum Mechanics books from different editions?

Yes, you can buy two Quantum Mechanics books from different editions. However, it is important to note that there may be some differences in the content and organization of the material. It is recommended to consult with a professor or someone knowledgeable in the subject to ensure that you are not missing any important information.

What are some popular combinations of Quantum Mechanics books for beginners?

For beginners, some popular combinations of Quantum Mechanics books include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. Other options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine.