Would you date a non-scientist?

• Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
  • Tags
    biochemist
In summary, the speaker discusses his fear of introducing his girlfriends to his parents and his overall fear of marriage. He mentions his preference for dating someone in the science community, particularly a theoretical physicist, and how he believes this would alleviate his fears. However, he also acknowledges that it is not necessary for his partner to be a scientist and that having a successful career and a curious mind are more important qualities. The conversation ends with a discussion about a poll on dating preferences in the science community, which the speaker finds flawed.

Which of the following girls would you consider

• Physics Ph.D.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Math Ph.D.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Any science Ph.D.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Any Ph.D., including humanity

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Physics M.S.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Math M.S.

• Any science M.S.

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Any M.S., including humanity

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Physics B.A.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Math B.A.

• Any science B.A.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Any B.A., including humanity

• Successfull career, whether academic or otherwise

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • Highschool diploma

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No minimal qualifications

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters
I'm out of the dating game since I got married. Still, I voted for no minimal requirements based on my past behavior. I know that sounds like I was desperate, but it isn't really true. After one particularly bad experience, I always insisted on a pulse.

Physics news on Phys.org
eeep! this thread is very hard to read. at first i was thinking that you need to relax and get over it BUT then after thinking about my own personal experiences, i can say with certainty that finding someone who holds your interest is SO important. Usually that means having the same intelligence level and same appreciation and interest in academia. What i do not agree with, however, is that you need to date someone in the same field as you. It might become overwhelming. If you're parents would be ashamed of you for dating a non PhD then that is sad :(

Just look for someone who makes you happy, and someone who challenges you on several levels - and someone who is either in your intellectual demographic or who is passionate about many of the same things.