Derived Subgroup (In particular Q8)

• Thread starter OMM!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses the derived subgroup H of a finite group G, with an example of Q8 = <a, b : a^4 = 1, b^2 = a^2, b^{-1}ab = a^{-1}>. The conversation also mentions a theorem for calculating derived subgroups and concludes that in this example, the derived subgroup H is {1, a^2}.
OMM!
So if G = Q8 = <a, b : a^4 = 1, b^2 = a^2, b^{-1}ab = a^{-1}>

I'm fine with the notion of the derived subgroup G' = <[g,h] : g, h in G>

(Where [g,h] = g^{-1}h^{-1}gh)

But I can't see why G' = {1, a^2}, I can only seem to get everything to be 1!? i.e. g = a, h = a^3 ===> a^{-1}a^{-3}aa^3 = 1 etc.

And given the conjugacy classes of Q8 are: {1}, {a^2}, {a, a^3}, {b, a^2b}, {ab, a^3b}

Is it a case of just checking an element g and an element h from each of the 5 conjugacy classes, not all 8 elements? i.e. if we check g = b, we don't need to check g = a^2b as well.

(Sorry if this should be in the homework area, but it's not a "homework" question, just a problem I've come across reading a textbook and is a more general derived subgroup problem too!)

Thanks in advance! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi OMM! :smile:

Just pick two elements that don't commute. For example, a and b.

There is a very handy theorem for calculating derived subgroups:

If G is a finite group, then the derived subgroup H of G is the smallest normal subgroup such that G/H is abelian.

Q8 is not abelian, so {1} cannot be the derived subgroup. But Q8/{1,a2} is abelian (it contains 4 elements), so {1,a2} must be the derived subgroup. (it only needs to be checked that it's normal)

1. What is a derived subgroup?

A derived subgroup is a subset of a group that is generated by all possible commutators of the group's elements. In other words, it is the smallest subgroup that contains all the elements that do not commute with each other.

2. What is the derived subgroup of Q8?

The derived subgroup of Q8, also known as the quaternion group, is the subgroup generated by the commutators of its elements. It can be written as [Q8, Q8] or Q8'. It has 4 elements: {1, -1, i, -i}.

3. How is the derived subgroup related to the center of a group?

The derived subgroup and the center of a group are related through the quotient group. The center of a group is the set of elements that commute with all other elements, while the derived subgroup is the set of elements that do not commute with any other elements. The quotient group, also known as the abelianization of a group, is formed by dividing the group by its derived subgroup. Therefore, the derived subgroup is the "non-commutative" part of a group.

4. What is the significance of the derived subgroup in group theory?

The derived subgroup plays an important role in group theory as it helps classify groups into different categories. For example, a group is called simple if its derived subgroup is trivial (only containing the identity element). This is a useful criterion for identifying simple groups, which are the building blocks of all groups.

5. How is the derived subgroup used in practical applications?

The derived subgroup is used in various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. In cryptography, it is used to generate secure keys for encryption and decryption. In coding theory, it is used to construct error-correcting codes. In physics, it is used to describe the symmetries of physical systems, such as in quantum mechanics and particle physics.