Groupg of Automorphisms Aut(G)

• Thread starter arthurhenry
  • Start date
In summary, the Wikipedia article states that when a group G is split as a direct sum of two groups H and K, the automorphism group of the direct sum is isomorphic to the direct product of the automorphism groups of H and K. This holds true if the groups are finite, abelian, and of coprime order. To prove this, one must first show that an automorphism of G will map H to itself and K to itself. Then, a homomorphism can be constructed between the automorphism group of G and the direct product of the automorphism groups of H and K. The inverse of this homomorphism must be found to prove the isomorphism.
arthurhenry
Wikipedia states:
when G splits as direct sum of H and K, then

Aut(H \oplus K) \cong Aut(H) \oplus Aut(K)

Could someone please help me prove this or perhaps give a reference.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi arthurhenry! :smile:

Where exactly did you see this, what was the context. In general this is false:

[tex]Aut(\mathbb{Z}_p^2)=GL_2(\mathbb{Z}_p)[/tex]

but

[tex]Aut(\mathbb{Z}_p)\times Aut(\mathbb{Z}_p)=\mathbb{Z}_{p-1}^2[/tex]

OK, next time, could you please state these things completely?? The wikipedia article says that [itex]Aut(H\times K)\cong Aut(H)\times Aut(K)[/itex] if the groups are finite, abelian and of coprime order! You need those conditions.

As for the proof, try to prove it in these steps

• Given an automorphism [itex]f:H\times K\rightarrow H\times K[/itex], then f(H)=H and f(K)=K.
  • We have a homomorphism

[tex]\Phi:Aut(H\times K)\rightarrow Aut(H)\times Aut(K):f\rightarrow (f\vert_H, f\vert_K)[/tex]
  • Find an inverse of the homomorphism.

I am sorry, I realized right after I sent the email; and thank you, now I will work on it.

This might be bad, but I have had problem finding an inverse. I am afraid I am not suing all of the hypothesis either.

1) What is a group of automorphisms?

A group of automorphisms is a mathematical concept that refers to a group of functions that map a mathematical structure onto itself while preserving the structure's properties. In other words, an automorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object.

2) What is Aut(G) in the context of group automorphisms?

Aut(G) refers to the group of automorphisms of a specific group G. This group consists of all the automorphisms that preserve the group structure of G.

3) How is the group of automorphisms Aut(G) related to the group G?

The group of automorphisms Aut(G) is a subgroup of the group G. It consists of all the functions that map the elements of G onto themselves while preserving the group structure.

4) What are some examples of group automorphisms?

Some examples of group automorphisms include identity functions, reflections, rotations, and translations. In group theory, these are known as symmetries, and they preserve the structure of a group.

5) Why are group automorphisms important in mathematics?

Group automorphisms are essential in mathematics because they help us understand the structure and properties of various mathematical objects. They also play a crucial role in solving problems and making connections between different areas of mathematics.