Proof of Inductive Hypothesis lg(n) = O(n)

• Thread starter Noor01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the inductive hypothesis with asymptotic notation to prove a mathematical statement. The example used the concept of induction to show that the statement holds for all values of a certain variable, and the two lines in question clarified the proof for n+1.
Noor01
Hello,

I would like to ask a question that is related to the inductive hypothesis with Asymptotic notation.

Example:
lg(n) = O(n)
Intuitively: lg(n) < n for all n ≥ 1.
Need a proof. Well
lg(n) < n ⇐⇒ n < 2n , for all n > 0.
Use induction on n to prove rhs.
 Base case n = 1 is clearly true.
 For induction step assume claim holds for n. Then
2n+1= 2 · 2n> 2n, by induction hypothesis.

To complete the proof just need to show that 2n ≥ n + 1.

Now
2n ≥ n + 1 ⇐⇒ n ≥ 1,
and we have finished.
So we take c = 1 and n0 = 1

I don't know how we got this answer in these two lines:
1)2n+1= 2 · 2n> 2n
2)2n ≥ n + 1 ⇐⇒ n ≥ 1,

If you can explain this example for me, I would really appreciate that.

thxx

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about the inductive hypothesis with asymptotic notation. I am happy to help clarify this example for you.

Firstly, let's define the inductive hypothesis in this context. The inductive hypothesis is a method of mathematical proof that uses the concept of induction to show that a statement holds for all values of a certain variable. In this case, the variable is n, and we want to prove that the statement lg(n) < n holds for all n ≥ 1.

Now, let's break down the two lines that you have questions about:

1) 2n+1 = 2 · 2n > 2n
This line is simply using the fact that 2n+1 is equal to 2 multiplied by 2n, and since 2 is greater than 1, we can conclude that 2n+1 is greater than 2n. This is important because it helps us show that the statement holds for n+1 when we are using induction.

2) 2n ≥ n + 1 ⇐⇒ n ≥ 1
This line is showing the reverse implication of the statement. If we assume that the statement is true for n, then we can show that it is also true for n+1. This is important for the induction step in the proof.

I hope this helps clarify the example for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need more explanation. Happy to help!

1. What is an inductive hypothesis?

An inductive hypothesis is a statement that is assumed to be true, based on observations or previous evidence, and is used to make predictions about a larger set of data or phenomena. In mathematical proofs, an inductive hypothesis is often used to prove a statement for all natural numbers.

2. What is the meaning of O(n) in the context of inductive hypotheses?

In the context of inductive hypotheses, O(n) represents the upper bound of a function's growth rate. It means that the function's growth rate is no greater than a constant multiple of n.

3. How is an inductive hypothesis used to prove that lg(n) = O(n)?

An inductive hypothesis can be used to prove that lg(n) = O(n) by assuming that this statement is true for some value of n, and then using mathematical induction to show that it is also true for all larger values of n. This involves proving the base case for n=1, and then showing that if the statement is true for some value of n, it is also true for n+1.

4. Can you provide an example of a proof of lg(n) = O(n) using an inductive hypothesis?

Yes, for example, we can use mathematical induction to prove that lg(n) = O(n) for all natural numbers n. The base case would be n=1, where lg(n) = lg(1) = 0, and O(n) = O(1) = 1. Since 0 is less than or equal to 1, the statement is true for n=1. For the inductive step, we assume that lg(n) = O(n) for some value of n, and then consider n+1. We have lg(n+1) = lg(n) + 1, and O(n+1) = O(n) + 1. Since the inductive hypothesis states that lg(n) = O(n), we can substitute and see that lg(n+1) = O(n+1). Therefore, by mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers n.

5. Why is it important to prove that lg(n) = O(n) using an inductive hypothesis?

Proving that lg(n) = O(n) using an inductive hypothesis is important because it provides a rigorous and systematic way to demonstrate that this statement is true for all natural numbers n, rather than just for a few specific cases. It also allows for the generalization of the statement, meaning that it can be applied to a larger set of data or phenomena. This is crucial in the field of mathematics and science, where accurate and precise proofs are necessary to support theories and make predictions.