The Probability of Our Existence: An Intriguing Question

In summary: Secondly, even if we could calculate the probability it would still be impossible to say anything about it.
alvarogz
Hi everybody, I was wondering this:

"What is the probability, given all the information (including scientific evidence and accepted theories), of having this existence (I'm not talking about life and conciousness) just right how it is?"

I have no idea about any kind of research or study area focused in this problem.
As my own interpretation, just intuitively, I though about that the first moments of our existence (or reality?) where dominated by Quantum Fluctuations, so maybe Quantum Mechanics could answer this question.
Sorry for the lack of rigurosity of my interpretation, but I'm just an amateur by the moment.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability you describe is a very interesting quantity, which tells us basically how complete our description of the nature is.

It is not calculable, however. For one thing, there is no accepted Theory of Everything, a basic theory of physics that is applicable to all situations. Even if there was one, it will probably still be impossible to do. Calculations for complex systems tend to be impossible for any but the shortest periods of time.

alvarogz said:
Hi everybody, I was wondering this:

"What is the probability, given all the information (including scientific evidence and accepted theories), of having this existence (I'm not talking about life and conciousness) just right how it is?"

I have no idea about any kind of research or study area focused in this problem.
As my own interpretation, just intuitively, I though about that the first moments of our existence (or reality?) where dominated by Quantum Fluctuations, so maybe Quantum Mechanics could answer this question.
Sorry for the lack of rigurosity of my interpretation, but I'm just an amateur by the moment.

Regards

The probability that we're here asking the question is 1. If it didn't happen, the question could not be asked since there'd be no one to ask it. That's an anthropomorphic argument, but it's hard to refute. How could life on Earth not have happened? Here we are.

1. What is the concept of "probability of existence"?

The probability of existence is a measure of the likelihood that an entity, event, or concept exists in reality. It is often used in scientific and philosophical discussions to assess the plausibility of different hypotheses or theories.

2. How is the probability of existence calculated?

The calculation of probability of existence involves considering all available evidence and assigning a numerical value to the likelihood of the entity or event being real. This can be done through mathematical models, statistical analysis, or logical reasoning.

3. Can the probability of existence ever be known with certainty?

No, the probability of existence can never be known with absolute certainty. It is always an estimation based on available evidence and can be subject to change as new information is discovered.

4. How does the probability of existence relate to the concept of belief?

The probability of existence is often used as a measure of belief in a particular entity or event. The higher the probability, the stronger the belief that it exists, and vice versa. However, belief can also be influenced by personal biases and subjective interpretations of evidence.

5. What are some limitations of using the probability of existence in scientific research?

While the probability of existence can be a useful tool in scientific research, it is important to recognize its limitations. This measure is based on available evidence and can be affected by biases, uncertainties, and incomplete understanding of complex phenomena. It should be used as a guide rather than a definitive answer in scientific investigations.