PhD from a bachelor of science (not honors)

In summary, the person's school did not offer IB or AP or Honors classes, and they are in the honors math program at their first year university. They currently have a 50% on their calculus mark and are bummed about it because they are working hard. They are over at the University of Saskatchewan and their math classes are not on a curve and they are in the bottom fifth of the class.
PirateFan308
Ok, so I'll start with some background. I went to a very small school which didn't offer IB or AP or Honors classes, and was at the top of my math class (I finished pure math 30 with a 97% and calculus with a 93%). This is my first year university (University of Alberta - Canada) and I am in the honors math program with about 30 other students. The two honors math courses I am taking this semester are Linear Algebra and Calculus. I currently have a 75% on linear algebra. I've been working by butt off, and I'm ok with this mark as I believe I can get it up some more as I adjust to the new style of teaching in university. My calculus mark is a 50% (I got 52% on the first midterm and 43% on the second, but my homework has helped a bit). I am really bummed about this, because, once again, I am working my butt off for this course and it doesn't seem to be paying off. My main problem is time - I just don't have enough time on the midterms to do well, although I will admit that with unlimited time I would probably still only get a 75%. Oh, and I have a 3.8 GPA on my other non-honors courses (Engl is the class dragging it down a bit), so I wouldn't classify myself as dumb.

I don't think I can continue with the Honor route, so I have switched out of the honors classes for next semester into the regular Calculus II and Linear Algebra II classes. There is no point to continue with the Honors Linear Algebra course, as it will still only contribute towards a regular Bachelor of Science but I can end up with a higher GPA if I take the non-honors alternative. I am now going to (hopefully ... :wink:) graduate with a Bachelor of Science with a double major in Math and Physics.

Is it still possible for me to go to graduate school and eventually obtain a PhD in Math? I really love math, and I enjoy school, so I would really like to go for a PhD, I am just finding this honors Calculus course too difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you doing relative to the rest of your class? Was it recommended for you to switch programs? Often times a 60 percent can translate into a 90 at the end of the term, depending on how hard your professor sets his tests, and how well the rest of the class does. Essentially EVERY math course I have been in has had a curve, considering class averages for midterms were ~50%.

BTW, I am over at the University of Saskatchewan.

Both of my math classes are not on a curve and I am in the bottom fifth of the class (in Calculus) in a class of 30. In order to stay in the honors program, I need an average GPA of 3.0 (which I will most likely get), so I am not being forced to switch programs. I haven't had a chance to talk to my professor (he is also the head of the honors math program) but last time I asked him, he said that I should try out the course and if I found it too difficult or began failing, I should then switch programs.

I'm not in grad school (I'm an undergrad like you are) but here's how I think you can deal with your problem:
First, identify what's your problem in those classes. Are they proof based? Are the problems just hard? and if so, in what way? Do they require long, arduous calculations, or is the solution simple once you "get" how to solve it? Are the problems very involved or straight forward? For instance, is it all about "find the derivative of f(x) = ...", or are those "story" problems that involve some physical understanding?
Did you go see your professor during office hours to get some help?
Answer those questions and go see your professor before you decide to give up. Only then make the decision to drop the honors path.
Some beginnings are just rough, but it gets better later on. Sometimes it takes two weeks into the summer or winter break to realize that you actually learned a lot of cool and interesting things in your hard classes. Easier classes might not challenge you enough.

With that said, I don't think you'd be handicapped by not taking honors classes.

First of all, I want to congratulate you on your hard work and dedication to your studies. It takes a lot of effort to excel in math courses, and it sounds like you have a strong passion for the subject.

In terms of your question about pursuing a PhD in math, I want to assure you that it is still possible for you to achieve this goal. Your current struggles with the honors Calculus course do not define your potential for success in graduate school. I can tell you that one of the most important qualities for a successful researcher is perseverance. It is not uncommon for students to struggle with certain courses, but it is important to continue pushing through and seeking help when needed.

Additionally, your decision to switch out of the honors courses and focus on your non-honors classes shows that you are able to adapt and make strategic decisions to improve your academic performance. This is a valuable skill to have in graduate school, where you will face new challenges and have to constantly adjust and improve your approach.

I would also encourage you to seek out research opportunities in math and physics, as this will not only enhance your understanding of the subject but also demonstrate your interest and potential for graduate studies. Many graduate programs look for candidates with research experience, and it will also give you a chance to work closely with faculty and potentially receive strong letters of recommendation.

In summary, while your current struggles with the honors Calculus course may be disheartening, it is important to remember that it does not define your potential for success in graduate school. Continue to work hard, seek help when needed, and pursue research opportunities to strengthen your application. With determination and perseverance, I have no doubt that you can achieve your goal of obtaining a PhD in math.

1. What is a PhD from a bachelor of science?

A PhD from a bachelor of science is a doctoral degree that is awarded after completing a research-based program in a specific field of science. It is the highest academic degree that can be earned and signifies expertise in a particular area of study.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in any field of science with a bachelor's degree?

Yes, you can pursue a PhD in any field of science with a bachelor's degree. However, some programs may require additional coursework or prerequisites, depending on your specific bachelor's degree and the field of study you wish to pursue.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD from a bachelor of science?

The time it takes to complete a PhD from a bachelor of science varies depending on the program and the individual's pace of study. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD program, but some students may take longer if they are working or have other commitments.

4. What is the difference between a PhD from a bachelor of science and a PhD from an honors degree?

The main difference between a PhD from a bachelor of science and a PhD from an honors degree is the level of academic achievement. An honors degree is typically awarded to students who have completed additional coursework and maintained a high GPA, while a regular bachelor's degree does not have these requirements. However, both degrees can lead to a PhD program.

5. Can I get a job with a PhD from a bachelor of science?

Yes, a PhD from a bachelor of science can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private industries. It can also lead to leadership roles and higher salaries compared to individuals with just a bachelor's degree.