Double Integral Homework: Find Heat in Metal Plate Region x2+y2≥1

• Thread starter arl146
  • Start date
In summary, the heat density function for a metal plate is x + y^2 + x^2 and the plate resides in the region x≥0, y≥0, x^2 + y^2 ≥ 1. To find the total heat in the plate, a double integral is used with the upper limit of y being sqrt(1-x^2). After integrating with respect to y, the function becomes x + (y^3)/3 + x^2 and the limits for y are plugged in to get [ (1-x^2)^(3/2) / 3 ]. To integrate this function with respect to x, x is substituted with sin(\theta).
arl146

Homework Statement

Consider the heat density function for a metal plate: x + y2 + x2

Find the total heat in the plate given that the plate resides in the region x≥0, y≥0, x2 + y2 ≥ 1

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought it was pretty straightforward. i did a double integral with both limits being 0 to 1 but my professor said the y limit is not to 1. what is the top limit then?

Physics news on Phys.org
arl146 said:
Find the total heat in the plate given that the plate resides in the region x≥0, y≥0, x2 + y2 ≥ 1

Are you sure you copied the last formula correctly? I would mean both x and y going to infinity.

ehild

should be less than or equal to 1

so is the upper limit of y just sqrt(1-x^2) ?

Correct

ok now i can't do the integral..first step, integrate WRT y. so the function becomes x + (y^3)/3 + x^2
plugging the limits for y in:

[x + [ (1-x^2)^(3/2) / 3 ] + x^2] - x - 0 - x^2

so youre just left with [ (1-x^2)^(3/2) / 3 ]. how do you integrate that WRT x ??

Last edited:
Let [itex]x= sin(\theta)[/itex]. That's a pretty standard integral.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that is used to find the area under a curved surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. How do you find the heat in a metal plate region using a double integral?

To find the heat in a metal plate region, you would first need to set up an equation for the heat function. This would involve using the given formula and plugging in the values for the dimensions of the metal plate. Then, you would use a double integral to integrate the heat function over the given region to find the total heat.

3. What does the equation x2+y2≥1 represent in the context of this problem?

The equation x2+y2≥1 represents the region of the metal plate where the heat is being measured. In mathematical terms, it represents the area of a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin (0,0).

4. Can you use a different region for the double integral, or does it have to be x2+y2≥1?

You can use a different region for the double integral, as long as it is within the boundaries of the metal plate and the heat equation is still applicable. However, using x2+y2≥1 as the region in this problem is the most logical choice since it represents the entire metal plate.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double integral to find the heat in a metal plate region?

Yes, there are limitations to using a double integral to find the heat in a metal plate region. This method assumes that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the metal plate and does not take into account any external factors that may affect the heat distribution.