Calculating the Potential Well of Neutron Capture by the Strong Force

In summary, the potential well of neutron capture by the strong force is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, taking into account the mass of the neutron, the strength of the strong force, and the distance between the neutron and the nucleus. This potential well is primarily affected by the mass of the neutron, the distance between the neutron and the nucleus, and the strength of the strong force. It varies with different elements due to differences in nucleus size, mass, and strong force strength. The significance of the potential well lies in its role in determining the likelihood of neutron capture and the production of stable atoms in nuclear reactions. It also impacts the energy release in nuclear reactions, with a deeper potential well leading to a higher probability of neutron capture
edpell
If I have a low energy neutron and I bring it close to a nucleus it will be captured when it gets close enough.

How can I calculate the shape of the potential well of the nucleus for neutron capture?

I keep reading that it is due to the strong force, which I agree with. But it is some kind of indirect strong force kind of like a van der waals force but for the strong force. Any references would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to calculate from first principles. Usually one takes it from experiment.

1. How is the potential well of neutron capture by the strong force calculated?

The potential well of neutron capture by the strong force is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the mass of the neutron, the strength of the strong force, and the distance between the neutron and the nucleus.

2. What factors affect the strength of the potential well in neutron capture?

The strength of the potential well in neutron capture is primarily affected by the mass of the neutron and the distance between the neutron and the nucleus. Additionally, the strength of the strong force also plays a role in determining the depth of the potential well.

3. How does the potential well change with different elements?

The potential well in neutron capture varies with different elements due to differences in the nucleus size, mass, and strength of the strong force. Heavier elements with larger nuclei tend to have deeper potential wells, while lighter elements have shallower potential wells.

4. What is the significance of the potential well in neutron capture?

The potential well in neutron capture is significant because it determines the likelihood of a neutron being captured by a nucleus and forming a stable atom. This process is essential for the production of elements in nuclear reactions and plays a crucial role in nuclear energy production.

5. How does the potential well impact nuclear reactions?

The potential well has a significant impact on nuclear reactions as it dictates the probability of a neutron being captured by a nucleus. A deeper potential well increases the likelihood of neutron capture, leading to more stable nuclei and more significant energy release in nuclear reactions.