Extending Bounded metric spaces to compact spaces

In summary, the question asks if a bounded metric space (X,d) can be extended into a compact metric space (X',d') where d and d' agree on X. The answer is yes, if and only if (X,d) is totally bounded. This concept also helps in proving the theorem in Euclidean space and understanding the behavior of uniformly continuous functions on bounded sets.
s.hamid.ef
Hi
Suppose (X,d) is a bounded metric space. Can we extend (X,d) into (X',d') such that (X',d') is compact and d and d' agree on X?

( The reason for asking the question: To prove a theorem in Euclidean space, I found it convenient to first extend the bounded set in question to a compact one ( its closure, to be exact.) and work with the latter. The proof can be generalized to complete spaces, but to go any further I need the answer to this question.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your theorem is true if and only if the metric space (X,d) is totally bounded.

Every metric space has a completion. So if your space is totally bounded, then the completion will be complete and totally bounded = compact.

On the other hand, if your space can be isometrically embedded in a compact space, then your space needs to be totally bounded (as each subset of a totally bounded set is totally bounded).

If you don't wish (X,d) to be an isometric to a subset of (X',d') but only homeomorphic to a subset of a compact metric space, then it suffices that (X,d) is separable.

Thanks so much Micromass! I honestly didn't expect such a clear cut and complete answer to my question. Total boundedness showed up several times here and there but I failed to see it was the key concept , and now it sheds light on a few other things I was struggling with ( such as how uniformly continuous functions act on ( totally!) bounded sets.) Everything is now in it its place!

1. What is a bounded metric space?

A bounded metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of points where the distance between any two points is always finite. In other words, the distance between any two points in a bounded metric space cannot be infinite.

2. How is a bounded metric space different from a compact space?

A bounded metric space is a subset of a larger metric space, while a compact space is a topological space that is complete and totally bounded. In other words, a compact space has the property that any sequence of points in the space has a limit point that is also in the space.

3. Why is it important to extend bounded metric spaces to compact spaces?

Extending bounded metric spaces to compact spaces allows for the study of topological and geometric properties of the space that may not be evident in just the bounded metric space. It also allows for the application of tools and theorems from topology and analysis to the space, making it easier to study and understand.

4. What are some examples of bounded metric spaces?

Some examples of bounded metric spaces include the Euclidean space (e.g. 2D or 3D space), the unit sphere in n-dimensional space, and the closed interval [0,1] with the standard metric.

5. How is the extension from a bounded metric space to a compact space achieved?

The extension from a bounded metric space to a compact space is achieved by adding limit points to the bounded metric space. These limit points are points that are not in the original bounded metric space, but can be approached by an infinite sequence of points in the space. This process is known as compactification.