Perfectly elastic collisions (proof)

In summary, to prove that the angle between two objects after an elastic collision is 90 degrees, we can use the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. Since the masses are equal, we can simplify the equations to show that the vectors of the objects form a triangle, where the angle between them is 90 degrees. This can be visualized using the Theorem of Pythagoras.
Phyzix
An object collides elastically (perfectly) with another object (identical object) at rest. If it is not a head on collision how can i PROVE that the angle between them afterwards is 90 degrees? :confused: :bugeye:

I have NO IDEA on what to do...it's been puzzling me and my friends for a little while now...

help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a elastic collision momentum and KE are conserved:

[tex]m_1\overrightarrow{v}_1_i=m_1\overrightarrow{v}_1_f+m_2\overrightarrow{v}_2_f[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_1v^2_1_i=\frac{1}{2}m_1v^2_1_f+\frac{1}{2}m_2v^2_2_f[/tex]

in this case the masses are the same so we can simplify:

[tex]\overrightarrow{v}_1_i=\overrightarrow{v}_1_f+\overrightarrow{v}_2_f[/tex]

[tex]v^2_1_i=v^2_1_f+v^2_2_f[/tex]

Consider now the first equation, look at the vectors [tex]\overrightarrow{v}_1_f[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow{v}_2_f[/tex], if they are added they are equal to [tex]\overrightarrow{v}_1_i[/tex], so you can picture the 3 of them as forming a triangle.

If you picture this you can see that [tex]v^2_1_i=v^2_1_f+v^2_2_f[/tex] is the Theorem of Pythagoras. [tex]\overrightarrow{v}_1_i[/tex] is the hypotenuse so the other two sides form 90º.

I hope the explanation is clear enough.

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is the difference between a perfectly elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision, the total kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost during the collision in the form of heat or sound. This means that the total kinetic energy after an inelastic collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision.

3. How do you prove that a collision is perfectly elastic?

To prove that a collision is perfectly elastic, you must show that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. This can be done mathematically by equating the expressions for kinetic energy before and after the collision and solving for the velocities of the objects involved.

4. Can real-life collisions be perfectly elastic?

No, real-life collisions are never perfectly elastic. In any collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to factors such as friction, deformation of the objects involved, and heat transfer. However, some collisions, such as collisions between gas molecules, can be considered close to perfectly elastic.

5. Why is it important to study perfectly elastic collisions?

Studying perfectly elastic collisions helps us understand the fundamental principles of conservation of energy and momentum in a closed system. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. Additionally, understanding perfectly elastic collisions can help us design more efficient and safe systems, such as in the development of car airbags.